Gravel Eater

P

peter

I have 4 hungry ax's, one of which likes to eat the small gravel as well.

he's still active and hungry and i have reduced his food hoping that he will pass the gravel but no signs yet.
i have given his underbelly a little rub and can feel what i think is gravel.

am unsure what's the best way to go about things.
should I
(A) continue to feed as normal thinking that the normal food will help "move" things.
(B) feed more so he doesn't want to eat gravel and "move" things quicker
(C) stop feeding until he poo's.

peter

First thing you should do is get rid of the gravel. Use big river rocks or sand instead. It's a pain, but it's worth it not to worry about gravel problems anymore. Axies usually pass gravel in their own time.

yeah get rid of that gravel straight away because it could kill them. when i got my axies i found small bits of gravel in the tank even though i dont have small gravel in my tank and this was a month or so after i got them and they had been at my college with big pebbles for a few weeks. must have been from the previous owners tank.you should just leave the bottom of the tank bare so you know when the axie has pooed out the gravel and therefore can determine whether all or most of the gravel has been excreted! good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back