Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

SERIOUS TEMP.PROBLEM

G

gabriela

Hi
I live in Brasil and these last few days my axie has been suffering with the heat, actually I have too - it's unbelievably hot down here!! He stays in a big tank, and I've been trying to keep the temp. in 24 (which I know is high), but I don't know what else to do! I use frozen bottles (all day long) and some plastic bags with ice. He's eating fine, but not swimming around much, as he usually does.
How does this refrigerator thing works (I've read in a thread to put the axie in the fridge?!)
Does anyone have any ideas? THANKS!!

K

kim

You could try a fan blowing across the top of the tank or try him in the fridge... put the tank in the lowest part of the house on the floor this should also help/

N

natasha

My axie tank is nearly always at 24 though the hottest couple of months in summer and she is fine. Even with a air conditioner on 24/7 (and a MASSIVE power bill) it sits on 24. Starts to gradually drop to around 21 as April gets along. I have had her for around a year and a half 2 summers and going fine, when I first got her we had no air con, ended up buying one for her and my goldfish. It is the only way from my experience with the hot weather.

G

gabriela

Thanks! I'll definitely look into the air cond. Yesterday and today've been a bit cooler, and I tried the fan and it helped a bit (at night only). I feel funny in a way putting him in the fridge, scared something might happen...
blush.gif

Well, thanks anyway. I've read some other posts on the subject too.

C

cynthia

Don't be afraid to put them in the fridge. They are far more comfortable in there than in a tank that is too warm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1