Food for very young axolotls

M

miriam

Besides brine shrimp and various live foods, are there other options for feeding a 2-3 cm long baby axie? I've read about using pellets, but I'm not sure if he's old enough for those. The brine shrimp (either frozen or fresh) end up making a mess and clouding the water very quickly, and some easier options (like pellets) would be nice to use sometimes.

(Message edited by zygomorph on March 27, 2005)

i think they have to have their front legs grown fully and be around 1 1/2 inches long or something before they will accept non-living food. if im wrong im sure someone will correct me.

visit http://www.axolotl.org on the rearing section and it tells you there what food axie babies can have at certain stages.

good luck with your babies
happy.gif

I have been reading axolotl.org, I'm just looking for some other ideas since I've had a hard time keeping up with hatching new brine shrimp every 24 hours and I don't want him to be hungry (and I dont want the tank to get dirty so quickly).

At the rate he's growing, though, he should be 1.5 inches soon--he's had front legs for a while, though I'm not sure if they're fully grown or not.

my axie babies are growing really slowly 2.i think this is because they are at a low temp...around 16C or so. you could feed daphnia.these can be put in the water with the axies and they will just stay there til they are eaten. i think they are really good food for the babies because they are cheap and you dont spend loads of time hatching them!

good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back