Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Algae Destroying Liquid

M

maggie

I have this algae destroying liquid that I was thinking of using to control algae populations in my tank. I have two juvenile axies in a ten gallon aquarium. The main ingredient is simazine. Does anyone know if I can use this with axies safely? The brand is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. Thanks.

C

cynthia

I would never recommend adding anything to an axolotls tank that is unnecessary.

Your tank can be easily cleaned of algae with the algae scraper/mitt/magnates of your choice.

I did a google search on simazine and found enough to not feel comfortable with using it in aquariums:

Simazine is currently classified by the EPA as a General Use Pesticide.

What are the Health Effects?
Short-term: EPA has found simazine to potentially cause the following health effects when people are exposed to it at levels above the MCL for relatively short periods of time: weight loss, changes in blood.

Long-term: Simazine has the potential to cause the following effects from a lifetime exposure at levels above the MCL: tremors; damage to testes, kidneys, liver and thyroid; gene mutations; cancer.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
No No No. Just scrape the algae off. If you have green water cut down the lights a little. I don't like the brown algae but a little green algae is good for a tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1