Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Early Bloomers???

B

brendan

As most may know i have 4 adults and 3 juvi's My adults are all sexually mature but this thread isnt about them its about my juvi's

They are around 10 weeks old and just now as i was feeding them i have noticed that they all have black tips on their toes.

Doesnt this mean sexual maturity??? Arnt they a little young to be ready to do the deed.lol.

i know i have 2 juvi boys. 1 juvi girl. 4 adult ladies.

So can anyone help explain this to me as to why at such young age they have the black toe tips.

Thanks

S

sharn

i duno how old my latest one is (read thread about saving sick axie) but its got black toes and its about 12cm long, not sure if this is old enough to actually be mature or not though

B

brendan

I think the black toe tip means sexually maturity is an old wives tale.

LoL.

C

claire

my axie male is sexually mature but hasnt got black tips on his toes. he is about 7 months old.

B

brendan

Like i said i think its a false fact that black toe tips mean sexual maturity. Maybe the experts or wannabe experts couldnt think of any other reason and just decided on black toe tips mean sexually mature.

lol.

S

sharn

hmmm i read somewhere that the toe tips are caused by chemical buildup...i have no idea

J

jarred

I think black toe tips on leaucistic axolotls means sexual maturity, perhaps not on others.

stephen

Reaction score
black tips is a build up of keritinese.

how do you know for sure what sex they are if they are still not sexually mature?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1