Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White stuff stuck to glass

B

brendan

I noticed when i was performing a water change yesterday that there are some white circular shaped things on the inside on the glass (water side). And they move around with the current (sway side to side)

What are these?

What other details are needed?

Thanks

B

brian

Can you give us a picture of one? Or at least a better description ("white things" is a little vauge ;)? Can they be easily removed from the glass? Are they anywhere else in the tank (gravel, filter, ornaments, or attatched to the axies?) Do you feed them any live food, like feeder guppies/goldfish?

B

brendan

1. They are easily removed
2. They are only on the glass
3. Feed them live food such as crickets, mealworms and earthworms but not guppies or feeder fish.

I'll upload a pic when i have time.

Thnaks

M

mik

Brendan are you sure these aren't planaria...little tiny white thread worms a few mm long. Commmon in tank set ups of two-three weeks duration and bloom from time to time in older tanks.

B

brendan

they arent worm looking but they are a bubbly type figure about 1mm wide.

I will post some photos tomorrow when i have time.

Cheers

L

leah

Sounds to me like some kind of algae... I think I know what you mean, because it sounds like something I'd get in my goldfish tank. It was in the basement with only a small window. Unless the tank lights were on, which they hardly ever were, the water received only minimal lighting. I'd get some algae growth, but it was always really wimpy and... anemic looking. Kind of white/washed out, in very tiny tufts like you described.
What's the lighting like in your tank?

B

brendan

the tank is in my room so it occasionally gets a bit of light from the ceiling light and sometimes the tank light is on when i clean the tank and for display purposes...

A

amy

I occasionally get little white bubbly wormy looking things stuck to the side of my tank too. Do yours sort of look like tiny white springs?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!