Water flow - what is too much

B

brett

Any guidelines on what is too much water flow. As we all know too much flow is stressfull, but what is too much? Guidance appreciated.

Brett,

I use the axolotls gills as a guide.

If they are flapping about and the axie can sit still, thats way too much..

If the axies gills move a little, its ok just watch them and see how they are with it...

If the axies gills dont move and they are sitting happily, then thats just great.

Personnally my axies gills dont move that much.. only when they sit by the filter out put, i have no problems what so ever!

Thats a good guide. (I assume you mean "can't" sit still in your 2nd para)?
In the pet shop the water flow was so great that the Axy was being blown from 1 end of the tank to the other & back again. My flow is less than that; the gills "waver" in the flow, but the Axy seems to move around OK, and has hiding places for refuge.
Its just that if you dont have any flow then you can't easily clean the water (these guys are soooo messy). If you have too much flow they dont like it - catch 22 (almost).

Yes Brett, it was ment to say cant, I was at work with 3 phones ringing all at once!

As long as they dont wave around too much like they are in the sea, they should be fine...

So if you can get the pressure of the water flow to next to nothing, that would be best? I just finished building and installing a 12 inch spray bar, and I can see the water moving the plant in front of it, and the water action at the surface. I didn't think it was too much, but if less is better, I can use the remaining 2 feet of tubing to make an even bigger spray bar, reducing the pressure of the outflow even more (probably to almost nothing). Should I use the bigger spray bar? And can I have too little water motion? Oxygen isn't a problem, as I'm using live plants that are really good oxygenators.

(Message edited by brian on February 10, 2005)

After installing my Fluval 1+ pump/filer. I decided that the flow was too much. Axy stayed in his pipe all day and after a few days his tail was curved, which apparently is a sign of stress. So I bought some plumbing pipe and made a spray bar. It fits onto the output of the pump and disperses the water via 15 or so holes. The water dispersal is spread over the length of the aquarium and now less direct. There is still a "flow" and you can see particulates being moved and sucked into the filter. Axy has appeared and now wanders around the aquarium, and seems happier. At the weekend, when I do a partial water change I will drop the water level by 1cm so that the spray bar output splashes back, thus providing some oxygenation.

Want to know something funny? I built an identicle filter system to yours (Fluval 1+, 24 inch spray bar, holes every inch). If it's working for you, it should work for me. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back