Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worms

C

claire

I know there is a post further down about earthworms but i thought it would be easier to write a new thread! my axies are around 7 inches (not exact so ill measure them when i go round to my boyfriends)...are 3 earthworms each chopped up enough every 2 days? or is that too much? should i reduce it to around 2 each?

Reply soon.

luv clairey n her new axies.xxx.

C

cynthia

I'm not sure there is an exact amount.A lot will depend on the size of the night crawlers. If you feed the axolotls too much they will vomit it back up later. Some axolotls can eat a lot, some not so much.

I have 3 axolotls that range in size from 7 - 9 inches. Until two weeks ago the 3 were sharing 2 large night crawlers cut up each day, or 2 small whole night crawlers each every day. They also each ate a few of the small salmon pellets every other day.

They have started to regulate themselves the past 2 weeks and are now only begging/asking for food every other day. The smallest of the 3 will eat its normal ration every day if I offer it, but the larger ones are not interested (since it is the smallest I still feed it every day).

C

claire

when my boyfriend fed them yesterday he said that either one of them or both of them (not sure what he said) spat the worm back out straight away. this was when they were on to their 3rd worm i think. they were small enough pieces 1-2 cm in length and they launched themselves at the piece of worm as if they were hungry. do you just think their eyes were bigger than their bellies? lol.

C

cynthia

It is instinct to strike a wiggly worm even if they are full.

Sometimes they haven't quite finished swallowing the piece from before.

When the worm sections are large(some of the worms I get are huge) I feed mine each one section of worm then wait 5 or 10 min and offer the second piece. Mine haven't spit back out the second piece if I give them a lil breather in between.

One of my axolotls (the gold one) lets me know in no uncertain terms when it wants no more worm waved in its face by jamming its face down to the sand and rippling its top fin and tail at me lol

H

heather

Everybody here has said that they cut up their worms before feeding them to their axols but i have never done it!i guess it grosses me out a bit, but my axols dont seem to mind!
My big fella is about eight or nine inches long, every other day he gets one big worm about 5 inches, no problem, he begs for more even when he is done with that, so he gets a few small two or three inch wroms too.

C

claire

thanks.i think the reason that gustav hasnt been eating his worms are because the worms are from my wormery and he may not like the taste of them. my boyfriend is going out today to buy some worms from a bait shop. ive told him to ask to make sure they havent used chemicals. if he cant find somewhere that doesnt use chemicals then im gunna have to dig some up from the field near my house. i know they dont use any chemicals on it. if i have to do that then im gunna look kinda stupid digging soil up.lol.

wish me luck with feeding my axies.

C

claire

got some new worms from a bait shop and fed my axies.gus was still spitting them out so i left him in a bucket of water with 4 halves of worm. the next day i found 2 pieces had gone and there was what i think are 2 axies poos! im hoping they were faeces and not the worm regurgitated. does any one have a pic of axie faeces to show me so i can make sure it was!

sorry if that didnt make sense.lol.

C

cynthia

Claire - axolotl poo looks a lot like a guinea pig poo.

C

claire

well thats what they were then.hehe. put gus in a bucket with a worm all cut up and he ate it all by the morning so im happy now! ill just do that for every feed.

M

mik

I don't cut up my worms at all. I simply feed the samller worms to the smaller axies and the larger worms to the larger axies.

No yuk factor, no mess , what could be simpler?

Axies will spit out a worm if it can't handle it sizewise or hasn't completed eating a previous lucky winner.

C

claire

well i cut my female's worms in half and my males into 3 or 4 pieces and just leave him in the bucket with them.

what do you use to feed them? and where did you purchase them from? i cant find any long tweezer type things like they use and my college.

K

kim

Claire,

I use my hands to feed my axies.. I brought around 1000 of the from www.wormsdirect.com the link below is where to find them on the website.. http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk/default.php?cPath=22_39

I believe Mikki uses his hads too, or just drops the on the a piece of slate he has in the tank.

Feed them with your hands.. its much mor rewarding doing it that way, and then you will know how much and who has eaten.

And dont worry if they go for your fingers, they will soon relise they cant eat a hole one
biggrin.gif
(and it doesnt hurt one bit, they dont have teeth)

C

claire

thanks kim.well i found some tweezery type things which are really good in feeding them. id feed them with my hands but i jump every time they snap and they would never get their food.lol.

M

mik

yep fingers are good or a piece of slate. But more often i use chop sticks. just right for picking up worms..just practice with noodles...yum yum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1