Please help with feeding

C

carl

i am looking into buying a axolotl should i feed it earthworms and prawns as a diet i cant feed it crickets coz i have a phobia of them wot else can i feed it or is there somthing that i can dip the prawns in to give the axolotls vitimens and minerals also can i feed it normal prawns that you buy frozen in a supermarket if i defrost them or is it some different type of prawn i have to feed them please help

not sure bout prawns i spose itd be ok. i have given mine chicken and bacon b4 they seemed fine. earthworms are best though. or trout pellets.

by the way where are you getting your axolotl from? cos i found it real hard to find somewhere in wigan. bolton had about 15 babies though last time i went a few weeks ago and stil had them a couple of weeks later. and like i said b4 hindley *said* they would get some but then they said i have to wait til sometime this month now which im not to sure if itll happen.

earthworms are good, as are frozen bloodworms or frozen cubes or beef heart - you can buy all that aat petshops.

no i dont have any mine arent breeding. but can you get to bolton easily? theres a pet shop there that has a load for £9

where bouts do u live? im going hindley in a bit cos i need to get some trout pellets so ill ask if they have any idea on when theyre gettin em in. theres a place near blackpool to that said they are gettin some in later this week to. but unless u have sum1 that can drive i there its a bit difficult to get to.

don't cook the food - raw is they way it should be. However I would NOT be feeding them bacon, do you know how many chemicals, artificial coulurs and flavours there are in BACON!!! I would say don't use and processed meats what so ever, including ham, sussage, cherio (hot dog saussages), bacon or any of the lunchon meats like chicken roll and stuff. Normal unprocessed meat is ok though. I feed my 3 babies beef heart, chicken, meal worms and sometimes earth worms.

How big are the prawns you are planning on feeding it? Cause here (in Australia) they are way too big - I'm not sure how big prawns are in england though, but I don't think prawns would be suitable for a staple diet (maybe as a treat) because you would have to peel them and they would be smelly and I just think there would be a better alternative.

Only my opinion though.

Good luck.

if you have the number for the place in bolton or even the name i can ring them and i need to no where it is

Raw liver (pig's or lamb's) is good, as is raw beef heart. Catfish pellets and earthworms are what we feed ours most of the time.

um its called britains aquatic superstore but wen i got lost finding it was askin ppl they were like ohhh daves aquarium!

address is
225, Folds Rd, Bolton, Lancashire BL1 2TW
01204 534343

with the bacon thing i only gave harriet it once off cos i was eating bacon toast and she was just on her hind legs starin at me through the glass so i was like ooooooook!

if you buy beef heart...when you cut it up....does loadsa blood proper pour out?

i tried feeding elizabeth a slug and she kept spittin it out! it wasnt that big! meal worms, are they the ones with legs? look like big brownish caterpillars?

i get beef heart specially made for fish - they come in little pop-out cubes, like if you were popping out a pill.

mealworms are a light tannish colour and are segmented, they have a hard outer shell.

right thanks for the address i am going to get my first axolotl today his tank is set up ready

On beef heart, sure you have read this before, don't give it to often. Axies are not the best for digesting mammalian proteins.
Try a good variety of food:
worms, pellets, brine shrimp, daphnia, heart, liver, more worms, blood worms, tube worms, reptomin stix, feeder guppies and baby mollies. Oh yeah and more worms they love worms.

I'll second Mik's point there - variety is healthiest for them. And they do love those worms!

Jenny, out of interest, is Dave's Aquarium shop the big one (Aquatic Superstore) on the way up to Turton on the way out of town?

earth worms are a favorite so are blood worms. you can try to feed them trout pellets too thats what mine are mostly fed on. as for prawns i would NOT go there i can see an axie getting pinched by one
sad.gif
i get my earth worms right from my yard, i give them a good rinse before i drop em in the tank just to clean the dirt and stuff off. you can order trout pellets from IU axolotl colony ( one bag is good for a long long long time! ) there are alot of pellets in on bag! they are pretty cheap too
happy.gif

Regarding the shrimp/prawns, is there any reason you didn't include them in your list of foods Mik?

I haven't fed any because I can't find any freshwater shrimp around here, live or frozen. Am I right to not feed frozen saltwater shrimp? I was thinking they might not be good because the axis wouldn't have any way of regulating the salt content of the shrimp? Yes, no?

No reason, I never really tried them.

I have a box of frozen shrimps, I bought many moons ago to try them. But they were quite hard and rough. The axies never took to them. So I'll store it in the bin when I remember.

Axies are opportunistic eaters and will devour almost anything you give them. Doesn't mean to say it's bad for them but at the same time it might not be providing any benefit either.

I am fairly sure that metabolism can cope with most things they are fed but the key is VARIETY. Same as it is for us...I love bacon but if i ate it exclusively my health would really begin to suffer. Mind you I wouldn't need embalming after my death...lol

Best stick to the well known and the things that people list here. There is usually enough variety and the list is quite long (and not exhaustive either).

Jenny I wouldn't mind seeing that pet shop too, I have projects in Preston Town Centre and Chorley which aren't too far from Bolton. Good excuse for a skive!

Oh yeah, Trout pellets can be got from any angling shop in UK or anywhere in civilised world. Just look out for the small dark coloured ones labelled as 4mm. There's a bit of variety but I find the darker ones are more pungent and the axies eem to have a preference.

I have tried some of the other ones they have labels declaring them as Strawberry flavoured or soft sinkers. These weren't entertained for very long. But then again when would a fish or an axie normally come across strawberries?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back