Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding station

S

shelagh

My axies are hand fed at the moment - only feed if I wave it around in front of them - won't even take it from my husband but eat like a pig for me. I am loath to leave food in the tank on the off chance because of the mess and because I have gravel on the bottom. My husband suggests we put a big flat stone on the bottom and leave food on that. Has any one tried this and had any success? Its not a problem now but it will be in the summer when we want to go away

B

brendan

I've noticed in the pictures that most people seem to have big pieces of slate in their tanks and i assume that these are used to feed the axies off.

If not it is still a good idea to do so. A piece of slate or a small plate should do the trick. Just teach your axies to go there.

C

cynthia

Shelah - Mine learned to eat pellets off a piece of slate.

If you are away from home for a few days your axolotls will be fine without food. Just feed them well before you go.

They would be better off without food for a week than left with a lot of extra food in the tank. The uneaten food could spoil your water.

E

eric

I use a small plate to put my Axolotls' food on (I feel it's better than slate because it's concave and the food doesn't slide off as easily), they've learned that is where their food is. If your axies get hungry enough I'm sure they'll figure out how to eat stuff off the bottom ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!