Frogs as a food source?

A

amy

We have lots of little frogs around our house and I was wondering if i fed one to my axy, would he eat it? I probably wouldnt do it feed one to him anyway, the frogs are too cute, but my Mum asked me about it and I'm a little curious myself.

Axies probably would eat them. they are opportunistic feeders and will have a go at a wide range of potential foods.

However, I think you shoulkd consult ome of the froggy people in the main forum because some frogs produce irritant and/or poisonous coatings. Might harm your axies.

I thought you weren't supposed to feed amphibians other amphibians. I thought I read this somewhere, but it might be wrong.

I wasn't advocating it Jared (if your responses is aimed at my comment) just pointing out axies will eat anything given the chance and that some things might not be...shall we say palatable
happy.gif

I think most animals (carnivores/omnivores) will eat most other animals regardless of being same species or some other. I think canabalism is a human distinction.

But thinking further about it, axies do eat other axies...especially juveniles though I'm sure we all would rather they didn't.

Also many Australian anurans are in big trouble (with the exception of the cane toad) and are showing severe declines.
I do not advocate the feeding of amphibians to other amphibians due to the above issues as well as the risk of parasites being passed from one animal to the other. The anuran would need to be frozen for a minimum of two weeks before the parasite risk decreases.

Also if you feed a baby cane toad the toxins may kill the axolotl.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on January 19, 2005)

Mik, I was just saying something I heard because I thought it was relevant to the question. My comment was in no way aimed at yours. You know 10X more about axolotls then I do so I am not going to question what you say.

Unless I know it is definitely wrong..........but considering your experience that occasion probably won't occur.

No worries Jared...I wish i knew as much as you estimate I take as much advice from this site as everyone else...still learning, seems to be no end to it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back