The Wormie Things R Back!

H

heather

A long time ago i was having problems with these small(about 1mm) *worms* on my glasss, after counless times of soaking tank ornaments in diluted bleach water and cleaning the glass with super soapy hot hot water they finally went away.....

AND NOW THEYRE BACK!!!
those stupid little buggers! i hate them! they make me so so so so so angry!!! Does anybody know of an easier way of getting rid of them??
[besides wiping them off the glass (wich doesnt work) and deep cleaning the tank (wich takes forever)]

Ignore them
happy.gif
they happen in every tank now and then. They do bloom when there is extra food in the water, or when you set up a new tank.

All the bleaching and cleaning of glass sounds like you keep tearing the tank down and thats not good. It's like you are starting the tank over and over and over.

They usually disappear in a few weeks, at least enough that you don't notice them anymore.

I agree with Cynthia. These things usually have a bloom and then mostly go away. They may come back any time there is enough extra nutrients for them to thrive. Or they may be out-competed by other micro-organisms in the tank. There will always be some micro-organisms in the tank, it's just that some are more visible than others.

What do you mean by "deep cleaning"? You may be trying to do too much cleaning, or maybe not enough. Removal of uneaten food and waste is a good idea almost daily. If this is done well, then deep cleaning is almost never needed. I have had aquariums up and running for years without ever doing what I would call "deep cleaning".

Everyone always said to wait and they will go away or to do a gravel cleaning, whenever i would clean the gravel is when they would come up!
I waited threee months one time for them to go away, it only go t worse and worse, to the point where the glass looked frosted. Everything anyone suggested before would never work, only make things worse. The way i go about gettting rid of them seems to work, so im gonna keep doing that

hehehe (me stubborn!)
lame.gif

There has to be a reason why you are getting so many. I have never seen them so thick as to "frost the glass"

What and how are you feeding the axolotl?

The two larger tank mates recieve live earthworms wich they catch while falling through the water and eat em up in one gulp. The smaller of the three eats salmon pellets, the sinking kind, he gets them either on the way down or finds them on the bottom soon after, there isnt ever any food left over, these guys are absolute pigs!

They frost the glass when you leave em alone, and it usually is only in a few places that they frost the glass, they do that near areas where the water is stirred up more, like where the filters out-put hits the glass.

The only explanations I can think of would be:

That your constant cleaning isn't letting the tank get completely cycled, so there is no competition for the Planaria's food.

Or

Your gravel is too deep and holding uneaten food and or poo.

Or

You have an underground filter trapping a large amount of food under the floor.

Or

Your smaller axolotl is missing some of its pellets. Food = Planaria.

I would vacuum the gravel every day after feeding the axolotls but take no more than 20% of the water out at each vacuuming. (until there are no blooms of worms. Then I'd slow that down to 1 or 2 times a week.)

Add aquarium salt using the directions found for axolotls on this site.

And stop looking so close for Planaria lol

Sorry.. that's all I got
happy.gif

(Message edited by cynorita on December 22, 2004)

too late cynthia!

sorry i couldnt help myself, they were driving me insane!i cleaned their tank...

-constant cleaning, uh, i dont clean very ften
-gravel is actually sand, and its pretty shallow
-i dont have an undergravel filter

-so it must be that my little guy isnt getting all his pellets!

i know, i need to clean more...i will try ot do that, we'll see how it works out now that i have a fresh tank to start with.

hmmmm it looks so nice!

Heather you must learn pateince. Now you will suffer new tank syndrome and very likely a fresh out break of planaria within a week or so.

Follow cynthias insturcitons on cleaning your substrate and it will stay under control.

none yet, im telling you its the pellets! cuz i havent fed them pellets yet, if i start they'll come back.
my sand is not syphonable(if thats a word) if i tried to syphon out the waste it would just pick up all the sand. i remove axie turds with a turkey baster
sick.gif

also when i had gravel: whenever i took a gravel vac to it, thats when they would come out.

I tried what everybody suggested but nothin ever worked!!

I've seen these little worms before. Little white guys, only a few milimeters long, almost traslucent? You can get medications to ger rid of them from your local fish store, but I'm not sure what they would do to your axolotls. I wouldn't try it unless you did some serious research first. The worms won't hurt your axies though.

Planaria are a normal part of any tank "ecosystem." Especially in new tanks or where the animals are being overfed. Any meds you add will also kill off your nitrifying bacteria. There's absolutely no reason to medicate when there isn't a problem, and there isn't. They're annoying as anything when they pop up on the glass, but the little worms are harmless
happy.gif

We're not talking about the same species then. The ones I'm reffering to (I've been trying to remember their name all day, but they aren't Planaria) can atattch themselves to fish. Although they don't actually damage the fish, they can cover the gills, impeding oxygen exchange. We got them in our system at the pet shop I worked at. It took us over a year to get them out. Heather, have you seen any of these on your axies? If not, ignore my posts.

sorry brian, havent been checking up on this topic, i havent had any more problems thats why.
Since there arent any worms at all (for the moment) they arent on my axolotls (obviously)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back