Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Expensive tastes

S

shelagh

My husband suggested prawns, and so I defrosted a prawn, ripped in in half and fed it to my two. Instant success! Does anyone know if there are any problems with feeding them prawns from time to time (everything in moderation).

Also I would like to feed garden worms ( the school gardens are organic so no problems there), but my husband is convinced that he has read some where about a parasite problem with worms. Can anybody confirm/disprove.

Such fun, the smaller one thinks my finger is much more fun that food! They both really seem to enjoy feeding sessions today
happy.gif
lick.gif

J

jenny

if he has heard of a parasite problem in the school area then i suppose you shouldnt - but i think most people feed them normal garden worms and most of the time they are fine.

im still to scared to let them snap at my finger. especially after seeing what they can do to other axy limbs

P

paris

prawns are fine, ive used shrimp before -i was told however its high in cholesterol-so dont use its alot just out of caution (not really sure what high cholesterol will do to amphibs or even if it effects them)

i feed commercial worms all the time, and im sure they arent 'vetted' for parasites-may people feed clean worms from healthy gardens, i am not aware of any problems.

the only truely 'safe' diet is one of commercial pellets, or cooked items....you could try frying the worms...
smile6.gif

B

brendan

Jenny my adults and babies snap at me all the time when i feed them. It does not hurt one little bit. The only thing it does is the first time an adult axie snaps at ur finger it is a little freaky as you dont expect it as they are so sly and they go for it without warning.

Dont be afraid. They dont got any teeth and they cannot penetrate human flesh. The worse they can do is latch on to your finger and not let go for a while. When an adult axie snaps at ur finger its actually quite cool. And the reason they can tear off limbs of other axies is simply because the axies themselves are quite fragile.

you of all people should know this...
smile9.gif

B

brendan

Also on the case of feeding worms. Just normal garden worms from the garden will do fine as a weekly treat. Just give em a wash under the tap before you feed them to your axies.

My adults and juvi's LOOOOOOOOOOVE worms...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!