Playing games

K

kaysie

Today I sat watching my axies while talking on the phone and I observed the weirdest thing. They were playing a game. I know axies dont like a lot of current, so I have an airstone set up in one corner, and their filter (with outlet baffled) set on the corner next to it. This leaves half the tank in very still water. But as I watched, one after the other, the axies would swim over to the airstone and ride the bubbles up to the top, and swim to the closest hornwort and climb ontop. Then the next one would go for a ride. Over and over they did this. Now, axies are not stupid animals, as they recognize me as 'Food Bringer' and know very well where the still spots are in the tank (a 30gal rubbermaid).

I think they were playing a game.

MINE DO THEW SAME THING!!! I thought it was weird too, but they obiviously know what they are doing - cause as you said they arn't stupid!!! If they didn't like it they wouldn't do it. One of my axolotls actually sits on top of the air stone for half an hour or so every second day nearly - like a massage!!! I'm glad I'm not they only one with wacky animals!!!

yup, mine do the same thing. my filter lets out reasonably big bubbles, bigger than an airstone, and my axies love to let it bubble through their gills *g*

Just as long as i'm not the only one with little freaks. Its so funny to watch them, like a bubble roller coaster...

i dunno if mine like the water comin out of the filter but at the bottom of the filter its like a strong ish suction thing and elizabeth likes being near that. think i might get an air stone though for comical value!

Mine do this too!! they sit on the air stone if i turn it of its like they are saying oi put it back on i wanna play!

Isn't it strange

My axies love to sit on the bubble stone and float up and down....I thought they were just weird!

Lol, turns out that they're all normal, in a weird way... I think these have the best personalities of all caudates.

Yeah i like my axi's - they do have a personality of their own!!!

I dont know if this is wat they are actually doing but 2 of my baby axies come up to each other face to face and touch mouths. It looks like they are kissing. Then they will just back off.

Another thing. One of them (Bali) is a real b**ch and she is always nipping the others (bubbles and spot). Anyways i dont know if is a game or actual fighting but what bali and bubbles do is this.

Bubbles will hide under the plant. Bali will sneak up to bubbles stopping every few steps then continuing. Then as bubbles senses her he moves a little bit. Then bali moves a bit. And then bubbles will swim away and bali will just do whatever.

Like i said i dont know if these are "games" or what but they are kool to watch.

Oh and another thing. They (especially bubbles) love watching me on the PC.

if you really want something funny, try one of those long "bubble curtain" airstones. watching kiddos play in that is hilarious.

Do you guys have the air stones on "full blast" or turned down to a slow bubble?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back