Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl are fighting?

C

cpr153z

Hi, i noticed a few of my axolotl with cuts and blood.

I also noticed spermatophores all over the tank..does this mean theyre going to breed? its been two days and no eggs..

Help pls.

thanks. :D

M

mary

Is there anything sharp in your tank that they could cut themselves on or get caught on??? Rocks, filters, ornaments, tubing, plastic plants???? Have you actually seen them fighting/niping at eachother???

Tell us the answers to these questions and we might be more help:

How many axi's do you have?

How big and old are they?

Are they male or female?

How big is your tank?

How long have you had them?

What "things" do you have in the tank? - ornaments, plants, fliter, airstone etc...

Tell us all that sort of stuff and we might be able to help. As for the laying eggs thing....I'm not sure - maybe the male is ready and the female isn't, or you don't have a female in there afterall, or maybe your axi's are a bit slow and it'll take more than 2 days to lay the eggs???????

M

mik

Males will lay spermatophores even if there are just males in the tank. They can get a bit confused. Plus they may try and 'bully' the intended mate over to them s'phores to try and get them to pick up.

Egg laying usually commences next evening but can be delayed by a couple of days.

Anyway try and answer Mary's questions to get a better response.

C

cpr153z

Well Mary, theres -

*6 Axolotl
*Theyre all old enough to breed and all about the same size give or take 1cm.
*There are 3 males and 3 females, Definate.
*4ft tank.
*Had them for 1 week and 2 days.
*I have live plants, very soft plants which are not enough to create the wounds, i have gravel as a substrate,filter and an airstone. I have seen one male nip another but only once.

Also one of the toes is down to the bone..but its healed nearly 100% so im not too worried about that.

MIK - how will i know the females are producing eggs or is full of them just waiting to be feritlised?

Also, how can i stimulate them to lay spermatophoes again? last time they were in warmer water in the tubs, then when put into a tank with cold temp. the next day the tank was full of spermatophores..how can i re-stimulate it without changing all the water?

M

mik

Hi Cpr, Ok the temp thing often spurs a breeding session. Simply put males back into colder tub individually for a few days and then reintroduce female.

See if there s'phores laid and leave them together for remainder of day. In evening take male out and cover her so she is quiet. Next day, if lucky and they have made sweet love there will be eggies everywhere. After that put her somewhere quiet to recover.

If there's no eggs from last adventure then chances are they didn't manage to persuade female to pick up s'phore.

C

cpr153z

Thanks, so your saying take all the males from the tank out and put them into a tub with really cold water? and then put the female in with them?

I was going to leave the males all in a tub for 4 hours of warmer water, then at night put them all in there with the females in the cold water in their tank..will that be better?

I dont really get what your saying? take them out of my tank and put them into a colder tub? will they lay spermatophores in the tub ?

K

katy

cpr, do they have anywhere to hide? caves or plant pots or rocks to hide in/behind? with that many axies in a tank, you need to provide privacy for them or they might get nippy at each other, too!

M

mik

nope u need to separate the males into individual tubs or containers and keep cold then after a day or so put 1 female with each male.

However, if you're having problems now...resolve them before trying to breed and get more axies for which you aren't ready.

C

cpr153z

Hey mik this morning the tank has more spermatophores..dont know if any females have picked them up..ill keep you updated..

C

cpr153z

"This begins a short mating dance, during which the male deposits his spermatophores on the rocks. The female follows behind and picks up the spermatophores"

I read the from a site..so all the left over spermatophores are ones that werent picked up?

By the way, ill get back to you on the spermatophores..theres a female looking very plump so ill let u know..thanks for the help.

C

cpr153z

Its been a while since the spermatophores were discovered..no eggs at the moment..this is the 2nd time theyve laid spermatophores..

When is the time right for them?! lol..

M

mik

For short mating dance you can sometimes substitute bad tempered pushing and shoving. Females aren't always feeling receptive...not even after good food, fine wine, scintilating company, and soft lights and music; c'est la vie!

C

cpr153z

when will i know shes receptive!!? lol.. so should i separate them all ? put 1 male and 1 female in a tub? and see what happens? or leave them all in their tank to increase chances?

dot

Reaction score
cpr --

If you've had them for less than a week, maybe it's stress that's causing them to deposit spermatophores.

Second - are you positive they're spermatophores and not fungus?

C

cpr153z

yes im 100% sure that its spermatophore..

any ideas why they havent bred yet?

K

katy

cpr, relax! if they want to breed, then they will - you stressing over the tank isn't going to help matters ;)

is there some reason why you so desperately want them to breed?

C

cpr153z

i just want to experience it..just asking in general as well..id like to know about it in depth thats all..when is it that females are carrying eggs?

M

mik

CPR have you checked out the main site in caudata? There's plenty of information about breeding. But seriously give 'em chance to settle in. They'll breed in their own good time they aren't egg laying machines with a fault. You'll experience it all too soon and then you'll be wondering how do I make it stop.

C

cpr153z

yeah ive read about it on caudata..is there a way of knowing that the females are full of eggs?

K

kaysie

Why dont you just wait? You havent even had them a month and you want them to breed already? You just said they were fighting. I'd fight too if you threw 5 other people in my computer room: The air would get crappy (water quality), it would be crowded, and i dont like other people (axies arent necessarily social).

Give them a break and just enjoy it. You shouldnt breed 'just for the experience of it'. thats like going out and getting a girl pregnant, 'just for the experience of it'. not the brightest idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1