Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Too cute (Timini possum update)

L

leah

There should be a section for other pets, but since there isn't, please forgive me again for posting non-axie related photos in the photo gallery!

Timini was eating some cantaloupe, and even though my camera is messed up, the pictures are still too cute not to share!

34822.jpg

34823.jpg

34824.jpg

34825.jpg

34826.jpg

K

kim

AWWWWWWWWW Isn't he soooo cute... He looks really big!

Do you have to give him back when he gets larger ?

L

leah

He's a pet possum for life Kim, which is good because I don't think I could ever release him even if you were allowed to! He's a little over 200grams now, so he's not very heavy for being the size of a large rat. He uses his tail a lot more for support now, and I even caught him dangling by it once, trying to reach a grape he dropped!

The back feet are almost like a human hand, but with the "thumb" completely opposite to the fingers. Their little hands are similar too, only have 2 "thumbs" and 3 fingers instead of four. And they're VERY grabby
happy.gif
He likes to touch everything and see if he can eat it- even my dog's nose!

A

anne-marie

I've never seen a possum before - I didn't think they would look quite like that!
alien.gif
It's probably just me but it reminds me of a flying fox without the wings.

P

pamela

That has got to be one of the CUTEST little animals that I have ever seen! The hind feet are too cool. It looks like a Yoda/Ewok/Rat cross.
happy.gif
(I have pet rats which I have hand fed from the time they were only 7 days old -- and they are GREAT pets.) It's a good thing those little (Brush Tail Possums) don't live here - I'd have to have one!

S

sharon

aw, wow... finally someone else who has a pet oppossum!! Congrats hun!}}

L

leah

He died
sad.gif

We were told when we got him that sometimes, even with the best care, orphaned/abandoned babies like him just don't make it... guess he was one of them. I don't understand though, he was eating, active, healthy, had a good coat and bright happy eyes. We went to the vet every Thursday to have his weight checked. He was putting on 10-15 grams each week, and growing like a weed. He said hello to me when I got up for a shower yesterday, and at lunch time when I came home. He was begging for attention as usual, wanting to be held and hoping I'd let him curl up inside my shirt to sleep. When I went to feed him last night, and take him out to play, he was on his side in his bed, already gone. I didn't even know something was wrong with him... I feel sick, just awful. I should have known. I wish I could have been there holding him when he died, at least. He hated being alone
sad.gif

So sad
sad.gif

We miss you little guy, and will love you always, Timini.

A

anne-marie

Awww, how sad! Poor Leah. At least you gave him a good life, however short.

C

clare

angel.gif
That's so sad, I really feel for you. I have sugargliders which are small marsupials and I dread to how I'd feel if something happened to them. They all have little personalities of their own and when their gone they are missed. I lost my first pony 10 years ago and I still think about him all the time.
Lots of hugs

G

grant

Im real sorry to hear that. In the pictures he seemed to be so healthy and alert. Don't be to hard on yourself though I'm sure you gave him a better life than he would have had without you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!