Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terracotta pot cave

C

cynthia

axolotl tested and approved.

33665.jpg

33666.jpg

J

jon

Very nice. What did you use to glue on the rocks to the terra cotta pot?

D

daniel

Do you have 3 axolotl's in that tank or am I just seeing things!!
My golden axolotl looked like yours with its big gill's until some thing happend and thy srunk!! Oh and did it take very long to make that rock cave , i dident no that there was a black aquarium silicone!!

Dan

C

cynthia

Daniel - Yes I have 3 axolotls (Blingbling, Echo and Jude).

It took 2 or 3 hours to make the cave. Hardest part was trying to cut the pot in half. Yep there is black aquarium silicone. It is made by All Glass. They use it to make the black trim tanks. It covers the orange of the pots very nicely.

I am working on their PVC caves next. I am going to stick some larger rocks to them to build them up a bit and try and make them not look so much like PVC fittings.

K

kim

Very Nice Cynthia, Ive been waiting a while to see your tank
happy.gif

S

scarlet

have u had trouble with your 3 being dominant over each other??

C

cynthia

Scarlet - Thanks, I copied Kim
happy.gif

So far I haven't had any problems keeping the 3 of them together. They are all about the same age and were kept in separate containers until they were about 5 inches long.

L

lauren

What kind of filter do you use, Cynthia? Your axies have such big gills!

C

cynthia

Lauren - it is an external fluval 204. You can see the pill bottle drilled full of holes I use as a baffle in the picture of the entire tank (orange pill bottle on the right).

The axolotls I had back in the late 80's had similar sized fluffy gills, but did not have the same kind of filter. They had a penquin 160, on a 55 gallon tank.

C

cynthia

I have finished their pvc caves... now they look like pvc pipe covered in rocks :| lol

34868.jpg

I think when I have more time I will cover the inside of the white one with gravel... that might help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1