It is official...

C

cynthia

I have entirely too much time on my hands... I purchased my axolotls a "moon light".

32770.jpg

that looks totaly amazing. how do they handle it. is it just a black light

They are little blue LED lights. So far they seem to be fine.

I have removed their normal tank lights for the summer( to help keep the water cool) and added the moon light and a very small fluorescent light (from a 6 gallon tank).

If I notice any adverse effects from the moon light I will post them. I have only had it a week or so. So far I like it. They seem to be a bit calmer when I walk past their tank early in the morning or late at night.

During the day you don't really notice the blue lights are even on.

hahaha. yea thats where i saw them too.. keep us posted on your results. doesn't seem like many people have tried them yet. maybe i'll give one a try soon.. even if it doesn't really do anything, it still looks awesome.

That is pretty damn funky I like it Wonder if you can get green or puple ones

Well it has been 30 days with the moon light on the tank so here is my update.

It does not seem to bother the axolotls. It does add to my enjoyment of my axolotls.

I work days and by the time I get home, take care of the dogs, fix dinner, and do all the things I need to do it is nearly bed time. The axolotls daytime light is an eight watt bulb from an eclipse 6 tank and it is on a timer. Comes on at 7:30 AM goes off at 8 PM. The moon light is on all the time. By the time I get to sit in my comfy chair and stare into my axolotl tank the daytime light goes off or has already gone off. With the moon light I can still sit for a while an watch them "be axolotls".

Last night they were very active; Echo was swimming laps back and forth for over an hour. Blingbling was hanging out on the tops of the plastic plants, moving from plant to plant every twenty min or so. Jude was digging holes in the sand. I have noticed that Jude digs a lot at night, holes in the sand down to the glass sometimes.

Cynthia, thats really cool. I have a similar light thats intended to give salt water tanks that blueish-ocean look, its just a special bulb called like marine glow or something, its brighter than yours but very blue...my axols freaked out whenever i had normal tank bulbs. They hated the bright light.

Hey Cynthia,

My axies too dig holes... but they dont seem to relise that if they keep digging under a rock its going to fall on them! Ive not had to prop it up with stones to stop them :s

What on earth do axolotls look like when they dig??? Do they use their hands, or their nose, or body or what? What are they looking for?
shocked.gif

Mine use there hands and nose or swim straight at the sand with there little hands going mad.. well thats what I catch them doing most of the time lol

Anne - Jude has a little different style when he/she digs than my other 2 axolotls. Jude doesn't always dig up against an object and seems to actually be looking for snails. The strokes of the front legs are much slower and there is a lot of face digging. When snails are found they are eaten.

The other 2 just seem to flail away like Kim has described.. swimming straight at the sand like they are going to swim through it. They are usually at the back corners of the tank.

I'm curious about the snails, Cynthia. What sort of snails are they - big or small? What do they live on? Are they supposed to be in there or did they just hitch a ride somehow (plants I guess). What do the axies do with the shells? Sorry, lots of question, I know but its opening up new feeding options for me - well, not me, my axies!

Duh! I just read Brians New axies thread, which covered some of my questions. I have one reservation - could snails suck off an axolotls slime coating??? Or damage its skin or gills? Is there any effect on water chemistry, however unlikely?

ahhhh i read somewhere that they can but dont always and that it normally happens when they are sleeping (the axolotls) however alot of people on this forum have snails in with their axies and have no problems at all. i have a mystery snail in with my four (yay i finally got my golden albino!!sorry had to share that, they are very rare over here) and they love him. they follow him around stalking him then pounce on him or bite him. hes never been hurt by the axies and ive never seen him on them or seen any wounds. i have no idea about water chemistry though. i wouldnt think so unless it was huge or you had lots

Anne - The snails that are in my tank are not there on purpose. The axolotl tank was a planted tank of tropical fish before I got the axolotls. I moved the fish, plants and rocks but there are residual snails. I have never had a problem with the snails on the axolotls, but I have "heard stories".

I have never seen my other 2 axolotls eat snails. If you introduced snails to your tank and your axolotls didn't eat them, you may not enjoy the results. Snails produce a lot of waste for as small as they are. I have to harvest excess snails from my tropical fish tanks. I am still not real comfortable with my axolotl eating snails... I am always afraid the shells will become a problem.

There are pond , red ramshorn and malaysian trumpet snails in my tank. The trumpet snails bury them selves in the substrate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back