Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Pics

C

cynthia

I took out a bunch of floating plants from their tank yesterday. They hate me for taking away their "shade" but I could hardly see them though the plants. I thought I would take some pictures before they guilt me into putting all the plant cover back in.

Blingbling
32037.jpg

Echo
32038.jpg

Jude looking purple today
32039.jpg

C

cynthia

Thanks Daniel. They are in a 40 gallon breeder size tank (36" x 18" x 16").

D

daniel

Mine are in a 36"x18"x18" good size tank but i'm up grading my tank to a 48" x 18" x 18" but i'm going to put my really small axololts in when they get bigger!! What is that plant that u have in there and do you use anything to keep it alive, The only reson i ask is because mine keep dieing!!

(Message edited by Ammu_188 on March 07, 2005)

C

carl

i love the one in your avater its got really great gills are you ever going to breed i would love to have one

M

maria

Cynthia - is that Jude in your avatar? I just noticed that you changed it!

C

cynthia

Maria - Blingbling does have a great face, she gets down right scary sometimes. lol She is quite miffed about the bright light in that picture.

Yes that is Jude in my avatar.

Carl - I think all of my axolotls are female, unless someone is a late bloomer. So there won't be any breeding going on. I am not sure I have time for a bunch of baby axolotls right now, so all females "is a good thing".

Daniel - You need to get plants that are suited to the amount of light you have. Axolotls hate light so you need to stay with plants that can live in low light. Java fern and most crypts do well in low light. Moneywort is the plant you see stuck in the sand in my tank. It generally does ok with just one fluorescent bulb running.

I think for summer I am going to remove all live plants and keep the lights off. It will help keep the tank cooler.

C

cynthia

I think we need to breed Gustav and Jude all those wild gills
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1