Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphed axolotl (2nd attempt!)

A

andy

Sorry, new to this!
morphed axie
30112.jpg

A

andy

Yes i did breed this one but i have no idea why it morphed. It was in a tank with 7 other normal siblings so it wasn't environmental. One of my axies morphed about six years ago but that changed due to stress, i sold it to an idiot who thought it would be ok to keep with his caimen and it took a chunk out of its tail and this triggered metamorphosis.
Andrew, if you think it could be genetic i could send you some eggs as his parents bred the other day. Let me know.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
He/She is beautiful!! They are totally adorable like that.
Any idea if a naturally morphed axie will live longer than a forced one?

A

andy

Thats a good question Michael and one i hadn't thought of. To be honest i don't know the answer but i hope he lives a normal life as i'm quite attached to him! One bit of good news though is that he has started to eat and seems to love worms!

K

kim

Yay! Told you to keep on with those worms didnt I!!

Good luck Andy

A

andy

He seems to be doing really well at the moment. He is spending as much time on land as he is in the water. Over the next few days i'll get some more pictures and post them for you

V

vanessa

Wow it looks cute! Mum wouldn't let me allow my axie to morph.

K

kyle

Back in the day, about 5th grade, when I had an axolotl, I kept it in my pond outside all summer not knowing it was an axolotl, thought it was a tiger salamander. Then I did some research and found out why it wasnt morphing because I found out it was an axolotl. I bought it at walmart of all places. Any way, the beginning of 5th grade roles around and I brought it to school, and it morphed in to an adult... I remember it being the coolest thing considering everything I read said that it never happens in axies unless they get iodine injected or something like that... something really weird. Although now I know he probably morphed due to stress. Any who, just thought I would share my morphed axie story.

C

carl

do all axies morph and i read a bit up the page does a forced axie live longer how do you force a axie to morph i wouldnt mind mine morphing soon but o well jus wondering and do they all morph also i dont have any land in my tank so if it did morph what would happen

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Carl,
That's a tricky question. Some sources say axolotls only morph when forced by injection. Some sources say they morph by themselves. In Mexico axolotl, achoque, and ajolote are accepted names for a number of species of Ambystoma. Generally axolotl means only Ambystoma mexicanum in the scientific community. Some lines of Ambystoma mexicanum are not all pure. Some lines may have tiger salamander or other "ajolote" mixed in them. Some lines tend to spontaneously morph. I've noticed that many of the pictures of morphed axolotls come from England and Australia. It would be my guess that lines in that country morph easier.
The answer to your question is A: True Ambystoma mexicanum do not morph spontaneously. B: Axolotls can spontaneously morph.

Huh?

A

andy

Hi guys! I've been off line for a few days but my P/C is working again! Thought you may like another picture
30631.jpg

V

vanessa

Awww... it's SO cute... how can spontaneous morphing happen? I've heard a story about an idiot who let his axolotl into a tank with a CAIMAN!! Gosh I would never let that happen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!