Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Finally got my lotls!!!!!!

C

claire

Finally got my two lotls! they wernt the ones id hoped for (the piebald ones from college...u know the ones...you've seen the pics.lol.). but the ones i did get from college are still as cute!!! one is leucistic and around 6+ inches and the other is black (melanoid is the word i think...correct me if im totally wrong) and it is 7+ inches! these sizes are a very very rough estimate coz i havent measured them yet with a ruler. i will tomorrow night coz im going to my boyfriends where they are kept. they are still without names. i thought marilyn for the leucistic and manson for the melanoid. but im sure the leucistic is male because of the slightly swollen cloaca and it is more slender and i think the melanoid is female because i cant recall a swelling and im sure she was much broader than the leucistic. but if it turns out they are the opposite to what i thought then ill call them marilyn and manson (leucistic marilyn coz marilyn monroe she was really white and its part of marilyn manson...and melanoid would be called manson because marilyn manson is a goth and they dress in black clothes)lol.but im sure the lecistic is male so i wont be able to use them names.hehe.wish me luck on thinking of names for them.

my boyfriend fed them tonight while we spoke on the phone and he didnt know how they went for the food so he kinda got a teeny bit of a shock when it launched itself at his hand!!! was soooo funny!but they both ate their worms.melanoid maybe a lil more womr than the other because he is greedy!!! hehe. here is a pic...

<center> <table border=1><tr><td> <table> <tr> <td align=center valign=top>
attachment_icon.gif

230.4 K </td> <td align=left valign=top> <font size=1>Me Lotls!.bmp</font>
"
here is the leucistic and you can just see the melanoid behind him. he hides a lot (think he might be camera shy.hehe)"
</td></tr></table> </td></tr></table> </center>

C

claire

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif
Dunno if that pic has worked so here it is again
Me Lotls!.bmp (230.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

C

cynthia

Cute fat little axolotls Claire
happy.gif

The dark one looks like the light ones shadow lol great picture!

Congrats on your new axolotls.

C

claire

thank you
happy.gif
. i get to see them again in about 2 hours so im looking forward to that! hehe. then ill have more pics of them esp the melanoid coz 'she' was shy when i 1st got 'her'. apparantly 'she' is always at the front of the tank looking out for food.bless 'her'. ill also get pics of them where you can see their cloaca and everyone can tell me what they think their sexes are if its possible.

C

claire

attachment_icon.gif
Gustav's cloaca. you reckon he is male??? lol.
cloaca.bmp (73.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

C

claire

attachment_icon.gif

gretchen.bmp (73.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>
This is Gretchen. how cute is she? the answer is VERY! lol.

C

claire

attachment_icon.gif
Gustav and Gretchen guarding their precious pot!
Guards.bmp (73.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

C

claire

attachment_icon.gif
They are loving eachother right now!
together.bmp (73.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

hope you enjoy all the pics! couldnt put them all in one post because they were too big. but as you may have gathered the male (leucistic) is called Gustav and the female is called Gretchen...

oh and by the way.... Gretchen is a freak axie! she has an extra toe on one of her front feet and on one of her back feet she has a toe growing from another toe! lol. she is shy no more! she loves the camera. Gustav is quite moody at times! he just hides in his pot or in the corner. hehe!

enjoy.

C

cynthia

I like the markings down Gustavs face he does kind of look scary in that picture!

I had some axolotls with extra toes and one even an extra leg that grew out of the elbow of its front leg. The extra leg went up in the air. When he walked it looked like he was waving... I loved him so
happy.gif

I also had one that had two feet on the end of one leg.

I do enjoy a good mutant.

C

claire

WOW!!! lol. hopefully mine will breed in the next 2 years or so.hope i have mutant lotls when i do though! hehe.

C

carl

mine has one very long toe much bigger then the rest of its toes it looks funny lol

V

vanessa

I was thinking that anyone could breed a mutant axie that has TWO heads! That was in my dreams that I had a twin headed melanoid axie.

C

claire

lol.cool.i would love to have one of them axies that have the head of a melanoid and the body of a leucistic. they are soooo cool!

pent565

Reaction score
I was thinking that anyone could breed a mutant axie that has TWO heads! That was in my dreams that I had a twin headed melanoid axie.

It would have to be a chimera fluke, as dual headedness occurs when two different embryos fuse together during early development. Axolotls usually produce perfect chimeras, without the extra limbs. So in a two headed axolotl, each head would actually be from a different animal, but most axolotl chimeras can only be identified by different growth rates on one side of the body, or a mottled, piebald look. Sometimes the gills or legs won't match.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1