Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Loved this!

J

jennifer

I do not love it. It was made by ripping off copyrighted photos from websites, including Caudata.org.

I don't want to register with youtube, but if someone who is registered wants to "flag as inappropriate", or message the plaigiarist who made it, I'd appreciate it.

ryan

Reaction score
Very correct Jennifer, when I first watched it I didn't think much of it, then when you brought that up I remember seeing those photos before.

P

paul-mark

Doesn't "ripped off" mean that someone gets profit from it? This is not the case with youtube videos, is it?
Me? I'm a youtube addict...}

(Message edited by pavlor on March 09, 2007)

J

jennifer

"Ripped off" means stole. Using copyrighted material without permission is a form of stealing, even if there is no profit involved. In this case, the person who assembled the video isn't making money, but they are "stealing credit" for work that is only partially theirs. They make no mention of who did the work of taking the actual photos, or the work of making those photos available on the Internet. In fact, they cut off the parts of the photos that identify the photographer.

Also, youtube makes profit. They make a profit from advertisers who know that all of us will come to their site to look at videos. But if those videos are made from copyrighted material, aren't they profiting from stolen material?

People have varying opinions about intellectual property rights. We all hate copyright law when we want to copy/send a favorite song to our friend (remember Napster?). But I view this from the other side of the fence. I have spent 100s, if not 1000s of hours of my time to put interesting photos on the Internet - all clearly marked as copyrighted and belonging to the photographers who shared them. When those photos are used without permission, I do feel that the photographers (and our website) have been stolen from.

js06j2b

Reaction score
I wasnt aware that they were stolen, but yes i agree with jennifer also.

I

ian

You can e-mail youtube and make them aware of this at: copyright@youtube.com. A postal address and fax number is also given. Their copyright infringement notification requirements can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/t/dmca_policy. You can clearly see some of the photographers' names and copyright sign at the bottom of some of the photos, so the person who has created this must know its an infringement of copyright.

J

jennifer

Thank you for those links, Ian. I hadn't bothered to sift through the youtube site to see if they cared about such things or not. I'll contact them.

P

paul-mark

I do understand you Jennifer, although I feel that if you put stuff on the Net, it is open to a little pilfering. I remember when I was at uni and we had to do some web design stuff, our lecturer said that if it's on the Net, it's common property. I have put stuff on the Net and feel flattered if people use it. However, that is just my take and I respect what you have said, and understand it.

K

kaysie

I'm with Alex. It's not cute. The tank is poorly set up, and the food item is FAR too big (and probably still frozen).

ryan

Reaction score
Good Lord! That is not cute at all! Look at that food! It looks like whoever is feeding it just popped it out of the freezer! It looks like the poor axolotl is choking! And that tank! Oh it looks like a stinkin 5 gallon!!!

js06j2b

Reaction score
okay, actually maybe your right. just looked at it again, didnt look at it properly before. I just findd it cute when minee are eating pellets and its like theyre laughing.

ryan

Reaction score
I don't want to be rude but you arn't just saying that, are you? I just think it seems odd that you post a bad video, everyone hates it, then you say that it really isn't a good video right after we have are say. Wouldn't you have said this earlier. Hmmm. So far you have posted 2 very unresponsible videos.

M

michelle

That is a horrible video. There is nothing cute about watching that poor Axolotl look like it is choking on that huge piece of food. I think more responsible decisions can be made than to post a video like that.

M

mark

Js06j2b - I sent you a PM the other day and you have not responded. Please check your email and amend your profile as requested. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1