Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Waterfalls

P

paul-mark

I am thinking of making a feature of my axie tank and putting in a waterfall. Now, do you reckon this would stress the axies? I also want a mister etc...

J

jennifer

How larger is the tank? And how many axies do you have? You want to maximize the total water volume for an axolotl tank - this usually means having a FULL tank, and not wasting space on an above-water area. It would be cool, but only if you have such a large tank that you can afford to use the space this way.

J

jennifer

I like the appearance of it, nicely hiding the filter itself and providing a place for bubbles. I can't think of any kind of cooling device that would fit into it. The only downside that I would point out is that if your tank is going to be "fully loaded" with axolotls, you may need more filtration that this unit gives you. A submersible filter provides much less filtration capacity than a canister filter; for the price of this unit you could buy a decent canister.

K

kelly

I was thinking something basic like ice frozen in plastic tubing. It could fit in the side slot where the heater is designed to go. The ice would never come into contact with the animal/s and the filter would circulate the cooled water.

The water wonder is quite pricey online but I just provided the link for a basic pictoral reference. I got mine for $25.99 in-store (it was the rock design--20 gallon). I thought it was quite reasonable as I've paid more than that for aquarium ornaments alone and I very much like the aesthetics of this piece.

I don't feel that the filtration capacity will be an issue in my case with only one small axolotl living there. However; if it proves otherwise then additional filtration can be added behind this and will be hidden.

At any rate, it's a very easy way to make a small waterfall.
happy.gif

Best,

Kelly

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1