Moving axolotls from UK to Spain?

kerry

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Kerry
There's a possibility I'll be moving to Spain sometime soon.
biggrin.gif

Ideally I'd like to take Pancho and Emilia (and their tanks)with me, but would be prepared to leave them with family or friends if necessary.

Does anyone have any advice on any legal restrictions, approximate cost, how it would work with the airline, or any other general stuff? Also, if it would be possible for me to take them, would it be cruel to drag them all that way, or would there be ways of making sure it was comfortable for them?

Have done very little research so far - thought a general enquiry on here might be a good place to start...

I got this from this website:http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=86&story_id=1920

"British pet owners must complete an Application for a Ministry Export Certificate for dogs, cats and rabies susceptible animals (form EXA1), available from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Animal Health (International Trade) Area 201, 1A Page Street, London SW1P 4PQ, UK ( 0870-241 1710). A health inspection must be performed by a licensed veterinary officer, after which you receive an export health certificate, which must be issued no more than 15 days before your entry into Spain with your pet."

The site was more about dogs and cats, but I'm sure the people working there can give you info etc about entering Spain with some axies.

From the Shetlands to Spain! Wow!!!

Yeah - pretty cold here! Not sure my axolotls will enjoy the change in temperature as much as I will, but I have a few ideas for cooling. Thanks for finding that for me - I'll definitely have a look.

There are some legal restrictions regarding axolotls: they are a CITES-listed species, due to their endangered status in the wild. There could be major obstacles to moving them from one country to another, but you'll have to ask the proper authorities.

It's kind of sickenly ironic that moving axolotls, the most abundant captive-bred caudate, is restricted, while shipping wild-caught newts (including threatened species not yet officially listed) around the globe isn't.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back