Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FINALLY moving house! Do I have the right ideas?

R

row

Finally moving on Monday, and it doesn't come a day too soon as far as I am concerned!
Just wanted to check that my plan had covered all bases as far as Miles safety and well being!
I figured I would transport him in one of my hospital tubs, with tank water, and possibly put him straight in the fridge at my new place until I can get the tank set back up.
As far as the tank...I want to avoid having to cycle it again, and I read on here I can simply take the water out into buckets and transport it that way so I can put it back into the tank when he gets to his new home?
The only thing I can't really work out is whether the plant will be ok, I don't want to uproot it as it was finally starting to bounce back! And I could probably leave a couple of inches of water in the bottom?
If all this sounds good, then I guess it is only a matter of giving Miles a nice smooth ride to minimise his stress!
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated....I am still new to all of this, and it is definitely the first time I have tried to move with a fish tank, let alone a beautiful sensitive little creature like our axi's!

J

jay

For transporting your axie i put mine in a plastic bag (The one's the pet shops have) and put him in an eski. I didn't use ice or anything either and he was fine. I set his tank up straight away though as i though he might have been sick of sitting in a plastic bag for eight hours lol

J

julia

hi, when I collected my little treasures, the previous owner had bottled up all their tank water for me and dried the tank. The plants where left in place with damp kitchen paper around them. The axolotl traveled in a medium sized leak proof container with enough water to submerge them in, she also added a couple of oxygen tablets to the water. They where then placed on the foot of the car well, with the cool fan from the car pointing to my feet ( do not wear open toed sandles..its hell!) and placed a loose blanket over them. They where fine when I got home, just put in the water and in they hopped...and where eating worms with in 2 hours. All the best with the move.

R

row

Wow Jay, 8 hours! Thats a long time! Well luckily I only have to move about 20km, but it is over a little bit of rough road though! I will just have to take it nice and easy....I will see if I can get a plastic fish bag from the shop tomorrow...
happy.gif

I don't know what the temp will be there, I am thinking a little hotter than where I am now...that is why I was thinking the fridge until everything is settled and I can be there to monitor his temp and the settling in process.
If I end up going with the container, I will definitely cover him with a blanket as you suggested Julia, with whatever pathetic air I can get coming through the vents pointed at him!

Can't wait to see him (and me) in our new home!

kapo

Reaction score
And don't forget to keep any substrate/decos/filter still wet with tankwater.

J

jay

Should be fine. When travelling also we had the eski in the front between the driver and passanger seats on the console. I checked on him everynow and then to see if he was still ok.

R

row

Thanks for the extra feedback guys...I am still nervous about the move but I am sure it will be fine! May be off line for a few days, will try and post pics when I get him fully set back up! HEHEHE
happy.gif

A

amber

Benny travelled 13 hours to get to me. 50/50 water in a double giant fishbag, two oxygen tablets in a net bag to discourage eating.

He's fine and perky!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!