Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melbourne Petsitters

A

aaron

Aww man this isn't happening!

my dad threw another question at me. He said "who is gonna take care of it during the holidays?"

i was freaking out!
does anyone know a place where my pet can be safe for 2 months?

HELP!!! -i live in Melbourne , Australia

T

teesha

i live there too so i suppose i might be able to look after it....but i dunno if my 5 tank household could handle another water change!!! when are these 2 months? end of year?
which suburbs are you in?how would i baby sit it?
im just warning you, 2 axolotls have died in my care...lol.
I will do it if no one else offers, but i'd rather not coz if it died in my care i wouldn't be able to forgive myself!

A

aaron

sweet! but i already found out that my pet shop could take care of them for me

T

teesha

oh thats awesome! (Y) make sure they know how to look after it porperly ok? coz sometimes they dont know jack! ok? cool! Good luck and happy holiday-ing!

A

aaron

Oh Gawd!

i went there and the axolotls are in bad condition. some had fungus and others had limbs broken off!...they even had a heater! :-(

ryan

Reaction score
You can't really trust a pet store with any kind of salamander.

I've seen 2 species of newts in horrible setups in pet stores.

A

aaron

0_0 MY axie is gonna die in July! >_< i need a petsitter now!

i don't think that axies can survive without food for 2 months.

unless i can breed snails...hmmmmm

J

jennifer

An absence of 2 months is a problem. They need to eat, and for that length of time they also need some cleaning.

Don't you have a friend who lives nearby and could take care of them? You'd have to train the person carefully, and it would help if they had some experience with aquariums.

The most important thing to explain to the petsitter: it's OK to underfeed and overclean, but doing the opposite is DEADLY. Most pet sitters are "too eager" to put in food, and less-than-eager to do the cleaning.

Taking them to the pet shop isn't a good idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1