Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Toe colours

J

jay

I know that when an axie matures their toes get black tips. But is it true that Wild-types and melanoids toes get lighter as in whiter and Golden albino's, albino's and Leucistics toes go black. I know the last one is true.

kapo

Reaction score
yes that's true of the dark wildtypes, I can only assume same would be said for melanoids.

kapo

Reaction score
Our dark wildtypes all have light/white toe tips.

J

jay

Maybe my guy isn't matured yet but they are pretty black as in Leucistic toe tip black

A

alexander

wild types just get a slighter paler tone on their toe tips, not lighter. actually, it's hard to see. safest is to breed them when they are over 20cm, otherwise the eggs will be a strain to the female

kapo

Reaction score
Our dark wildtypes toetips are quite noticeable, like white toenails.

J

jay

I see now. They have turned or started turning white. Kapo could you or someone up load a pic of a female wild-type so i could compare it with cookie. I think it may be female. I thought it was male but i was guessing. he didn't really have a cloaca then. Now he has a little bump like a females. So pics would be great thanks

stephen

Reaction score
My axie is a wild type and it has white toes. It is over 20cm and most of its toes are white. Does this mean it is mature?

J

jay

I would say so. That is what the others have told me. Do you know if your axie's gender?

stephen

Reaction score
No im not sure because I have posted a picture of it before on here but when I did that my axie was full of gravel so it made it look like a girl I am going to post another pic soon.

J

jay

Can anyone please post a pic of a female wildtype so i can compare with my wildtype. i think its a girl

A

amber

Has anyone got a photo of a mature gold? There's very little to refer to out on the web.

J

jay

I have a mature golden but my Computer won't let me upload pic's cause it thinks there is a disk in which there isn't

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1