Weekly baths

J

jay

Do you guys think that it would be a good idea to give all of your axies salt baths once a month to keep away infections and fungus even if they don't have any infections or fungus.

Hey Jay, maybe that might cause too much stress to the little fellas for perhaps no reason? I know my little guy hates a salt bath, and I personally would not put him through the stress of catching and bathing unless he definitely needs it! Theoretically if conditions in your tank are ideal, fungus and infections should not occur (although I haven't managed this perfect little world....yet!).
I will be curious to hear others comments though....

That is a good opinion. I guess the salt baths would cause stress. I gave my Madison a salt bath as when i bought him he had an infection. He didn't seem to like it. He died a couple of days later. Im interested in others opinions also

I agree with Row. It's kind of like giving meds. to a person thats dose not need them.

I was thinking about all this, and was wondering how common is it for an axolotl to get fungus and why. Should I expect it with my two (4 months old)?

They mostly get it from stress and/or bad water quality causing stress

I've been keeping axolotls for years and *knock on wood* have never had a fungus issue.

Wow you are pretty luck Kaysie. Or just caring about your axies :D

I'm a pretty diligent momma. But I'm sure luck is part of it.

Kaysie what is your opinion on monthly salt baths. Do you think it would be a good idea or unecassary

Don't fix what ain't broken.

Weekly salt baths will do nothing but a) stress your animal (possibly leading to more infections), and b) possibly create resistant pathogenic organisms. Salt-bath resistant fungus would be bad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back