Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie transportation.

A

adam

I'm going to be moving house soon and wouldn't be too worried if i was only moving down the road. but i'm moving about 250miles and its going to involve a 6 hour car journey.

Whats the best way to move Steve and his tank? I want to try and avoid having to re cycle his tank when we get there.

I thought maybe empty his tank right down to the sand, and keep about half his water in a bucket with all his plants, ornaments etc in and put a lid on it. that way when i get there i can pop it all back in and it'll just be like doing a big water change.

But the most important thing is to prevent steve from becoming too stressed and i'm not sure about moving him. any suggestions?

J

jacob

You could just keep him in a container other than the tank and just do a 100% water change every day, or at least until the permanent tank is cycled. If you remove the water, all of the helpful bacteria will die that were living in your filter.

As for the axolotl itself, just bag him up and set him in a cooler. 6 hours is long, but he should make it. Be sure to give a lot of air to him in the bag along with an ice pack. Good luck!

kerry

Reaction score
I transported my axolotls from Stranraer to Shetland when I first got them. It was a whole day's driving, plus an overnight ferry journey. Also, it was on the hottest day of the year and I'd only just got my first car and was jerking the thing about all the way up the road.

They were pretty annoyed with me by the time I got them home, but survived the journey just fine and were eating shortly after getting back.

I suppose what I'm saying is that if mine survived all that, Steve should be just fine.

I'd agree with Jacob that you should put him in a cool-box - I ended up wishing I'd done that.

R

rebecca

i think a cool box would be the best, with maybe an ice pack in with him too
sounds like you have already solved the tank problems
good luck!

A

adam

Thanks for the idea's guys, i had thought of using a cool box but i've managed to borrow an in car mini fridge that plugs into the cigarette lighter! that way i can control the temp the whole way.
so steve will be going in a small tub with air holes in the lid and some floating plants to hold on to and will be put in the fridge.

as for the tank i'll have to see. at worst stevie boy will have to live in temporary tubs again with 100% water changes daily until a cycle is complete.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1