Sand in tank

S

sarah

Heya, I'm new to these forums and since you all seem to know alot i thought I would ask for your advice... I have 4 axolotls (2 different tanks). Their tanks have nothing covering the bottom (except the places they hide). Like no stones or anything because I heard they try to eat them. But someone mentioned sand... does this work? If so what type of sand and how much? or are they alright left with nothing covering the bottom? Thanks
happy.gif

Yeah wash the sand b4 u put it in obviously.
I think about 5cm of sand is usually good enough.
Normal aquarium sand should be fine(thats all i have in my tank anyway:p)

cool where can you buy the sand? do they have it in pet shops usually?

Sarah, you could leave them bare as I'm sure you will find they are so much easier to clean.

We have sand in our tanks apart from our little tanks where we have 20 axolotl babies - and find it so much easier having bare tanks for feeding and cleaning that if I was able to persuade my husband I would clear the sand from them all or permanently silicon the sand to the floor to make it easy for feeding worms and stuff, so they don't bury within the substrate

Petshops are too expensive!

If you are still keen on getting sand; try landscaping/hardware/garden places like Williams/Bunnings/Mitre 10/Ablaze and just ask for playsand - usually costs between $5-$9 for a huge sack/bagful.

Also, we have about 1-2cm height of sand. If you have too much sand you;ll get pockets of gas building up. Our sand we regularly stir/run a turkey baster through in rows and crisscross or use the siphon on a to do same to avoid this.

(Message edited by kapo on April 08, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back