Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will it grow back?

A

alexander

hi i've just aquired another axolotl (wild type colour). but one problem is that the place where i bought mine kept them communally (and they're fairly young so u can imagine the problems). anyways, it misses many toes. i know that they will grow back in time but i just wonder how fast it will take? its about 12 cm so it's probably under 6 months. btw, is it ok to keep them in 10cm deep water, i've never got any problems with that since it's easier to feed. i would appreciate if someone could give an more exact water dept, i've always had a deep equal to the axolotl's lenght.

p.s. i appologize for my bad english, i'm from sweden
happy.gif

S

shelly

i know what you mean about shallow water being easier to feed them in. ive put Fraggle into a larger tank and the water comes almost upto the top of my arm. the water temp was 10 degrees and that was so not fun. ive been away since sunday so i'm hoping its warmed up a little since then as im going to have a very hungry axolotl as he hasnt been feed since I left.

A

alexander

he seems to be fine now ^^. he ate 3 worms today and seems acive and healthy although his gills could be in better shape

L

lorie

Hey shelly:p
Moomin says have you got fraggle his new big tank yet :p

Alex-
Good to know! My axie had an off day. They do sometimes. Probably a pebble....annoying pebbles seem to just gestate!

A

alexander

happy.gif
just found a worm treasure cave yesterday! right behind an old big tree in the end of our garden with piles of old leaves. just have to put the spade in the earth one time to get about 20 worms of good size. needless to say, don't have to worry about running low on food supply :D

K

kaysie

Alexander, collect some of the dirt, and put the worms in a shallow bowl with a lid with some dirt, and they will keep in the fridge for weeks.

S

shelly

hey lorie
rofl.gif

fraggle says to tell moomin yes he has and is much happier now. it still needs some decor as he only has a few half logs to hide in at the moment but have been very busy so will investigate some plants and stuff soon.

also baby wild type is growing fast so fraggle will have a friend soon. really have to name it.

oh a friend of mine saw fraggle and went "its a moomin!" lol

S

shelly

yes really. she has quite a few moomin bits and pieces around her house so is a big fan. i just thought it was funny. i told her i knew of a lotl as she calls them called moomin and she just said she totally understood why!

L

lorie

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FABULOUS! ahah
They really do look like Moomins tho ahha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1