Snails

K

karrie

What do you guys think about putting trumpet snails in with axie's? I don't mind if they eat them as long as it is ok for them. Do you think the shells will just pass and not get stuck?

They should get digested in the stomach. The shell is a good source of calcium and protein

I have heard that its not good to put snails in with axies. They can slither onto them when they are asleep, sucking there skin and perhaps damaging it!

I think that there skin is sensitive enough to sense that there is something on it and do something about it. Besides axolotls don't fall asleep, they don't have eyelids.

also trumpet snails are burrowers, they don't climb around much.

Just because they don't have eyelids doesn't mean that they don't sleep. What about fish, they sleep. We can daydream and our eyes aren't closed

One thing about snails is that some can reproduce on their own (being a-sexual) pretty soon your tank could be overrun by thousands. I had a huge problem with them, and I had to start the tank back from scratch. They were more of a problem than beneficial.

Steve's had trumpet snails with him for a while. i never intended for him to have them, they just came in on plants. He's always eating them! try to remove the big ones because the shells don't fully digest and once he ate a really big one and got blocked quite badly. now i just remove the big ones and give them to my mate for his tank and he's getting on fine. ->(o___o)<-

->(0__0)<- Wow thats cool Adam! It looks like an mudpuppy (my favorite animal), did you think that up or did you see it some place, or does everyone on this site know it and I don't?

I just made it up when i was bored. i'm sure i've seen something similar to it on here before. glad you like it.

->(0_0)<-
lol.gif

If you have read the Mixing disasters article there have been reports of snails that axies have lost limbs to, eaten by, choked on, and cut by so I would never let one in with an axie. It's your choice though.

I haven't done it yet just a thought. Thanks for every body ideas on this.

I recently bought a mystery snail, to help me clean the tank. Everything seems great, Salsa is leaving the snail alone and the snail is leaving Salsa alone.
Just wondering do I have to feed the snail anything else?

hi every1 i have snails in my tank but not by choice they came in on plants mildrid my axy eats them and i havnt had any probs yet they dont seem to eat her so i have left them alone the bigest 1 iv seen is around 6mm should i remove it from the tank?

Hi Layla, my plants also brought little stow aways ( snails) My axolotl eat them when they have a mind too, as far as I am aware they should be fine and hopefully be a good source of food. Having said this I do take some out ( leave a small lettuce leaf/dandilion over night and then chuck with the snails attached!) reasonably regularlly as the population could explode. I also rub of any eggs of on the glass.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back