Refuses to eat worms!!!

tanksalotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tanks-a-lotl
hi i've got a weird problem, my axolotl refuses to eat worms (compost worms). he eats frozen tubifex and such but when i offer him worms he just swallows them and spits the out. maybe he gets tired as they are pretty hard to kill, he just try to swallow them 3-4 times and after that he just leaves them wiggling in the substrate until the have buried themselves under. what should i do to make him eat the damn worms?

maybe you could try cutting them in half? or getting smaller worms?

theyre prob to big for him

Hi Alexander,
My axies will not eat compost worms
either.
They can have a bad taste to them
and a lot of axies won't eat them.
If you have any bait shops near you they
might have "normal" worms.
I get mine from them and my axies have no
problems with them.
Also "garden" worms are good, at present the ground here is too hard because of the drought.
Cheers,
Chris.

yeah i've heard that newts/salamanders finds them untasty. oki, i'll follow your advice and wait until next rain and get some ordinary worms

i use bait worms and mine doesnt liek the strong squirm. If u purge them in water for like a day they are more lazy an sluggish and easier to get down their gob!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back