Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cleaning

L

lee

just wandering how often every1 does water changes on there axies. im currently changing 20% every 3 days but not sure if this is to much.

kapo

Reaction score
depends on if your tank is filtered or unfiltered and water parameters. Our unfiltered tanks get changed every 2-3 days, dependant on water test parameters, while our filtered tanks get done weekly - all about 20-30%

L

lee

both are filtered tanks one is at 19 degrees C the other at 14 degrees C, could to many water changes harm them in anyway.

kapo

Reaction score
Do you test your tanks then change them or just do the waterchanges every 3 days no tests? Maybe you should test your tanks every 3 days and if the ammonia or nitrite shows then do your waterchange accordingly; otherwise if filter is good and your ammonia/nitrite is 0 then leave it for the week and just do spot cleaning with a turkey baster.

It would only really harm them if you did major inconsistent % waterchanges in the space of a few days: ie: 30% one day, 50-90% next and subsequent days or all within space of a week. This method can throw out an established/cycled tank and cause it to cycle again, which invariably will stress your axies if you haven't realised it is cycling and drop back to doing weekly waterchanges.

Occasionally we may do 20-30% waterchanges daily if the ammonia and nitrite are above 0, to bring them back to safe levels.

(Message edited by kapo on March 22, 2007)

L

lee

dont normally test them before i change the water but will do from now on, thanks for your help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1