Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tadpoles?

A

alex

well, yes they can, but i personally think that it isnt good feeding a tadpole to anything, after all it will eventually be a frog, toad or newt, which is related to an axolotl.
besides, in england it is illegal to the best of my knowledge.
the best thing to feed them is earthworms, live xl bloodworms and frozen bloodworm, and maybe pellets.
if you really have to go down the live route(and you dont need to, they are fine with other stuff) then the best answer is fish, but in my opinion there is no need for it.

K

kaysie

Alex, worms and small insects are live food.

I disagree that fish is the best answer for 'live' food.

Feed your axolotls a diet they would find naturally, which includes aquatic insect larvae, small invertebrates, earthworms, etc. They would rarely (probably never) encounter fish in the wild.

Though they could eat tadpoles in the wild, these could serve as a vector for disease, and are probably not a good source of food for your axolotl.

A

alex

yea, sorry kaysie,i didnt make myself clear.
what i meant by "live food" is live vertibrates that might get fed.
with regards to that, if you feed vertibrates, id say the best is probably fish, although i dont agree with it, as at least in the wild the fish can swim away.
the best food are live earthworms, aquatic insects, or whatever.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!