Hey

L

linsey

hey, ive been to buy my first axi today, and was told i need my tank set up two weeks before my axi goes in. my tank is nearly 3ft and i have put bird sand into the bottom its about an inch deep. is so far ok? i will be adding bits to the tank as i can. what type of plants are ok to add to the tank? also i like the look of the white axi with the red around the head, what are these called?

i recommend using any type of plastic plants because if you put real plants in chances are your axie will just pull them apart and ruin them.

and the white axies with red gills are albino axies.

thanks, so what about moss balls etc where do i get them from. would you say the sand im using is ok and size of tank for one axi

Over here I think we call that bird grit. It will mess up the water you can use play sand or pool filter sand. I use plastic and live plants. The live plants will help keep the water in check. Java fern Java moss and moss balls are good any low light plant really.

thanks, so what about moss balls etc where do i get them from. would you say the sand im using is ok and size of tank for one axi

I would not use the bird sand. The tank size is good for 2 axies. You can get the plants a pet store some times on ebay.

so will two albino axis be good together in my tank as i was only going to get one

i just got 4 moss balls from ebay, im going to add drift wood and few ornaments soon. can i put some pretty coloured glass stones in?

I would really take it out and use some thing else Seems like most of the pet shop people really don't know much when it comes to axies. Most of them just want to make a sell. Yeah 2 would be fine try to close to the same size. How long has tank been set up for? What else did the pet store tell you to do for them? What temp stuff like that.

they just told me that they are cold water and dont need to keep them at a certain temp. my tank has been set up 3 hours. will the bird sand hurt them? i just went along with what the pet shop said

You could as long as they are big. You would be surprize what an axie can fit in their mouth. They also like to hide with 2 they will get along better if you have a few. They also some times like to float around so if you let some plant float they might hang out in those. You can check out the pictures here for some ideas.

Most of the time the pet shops seem to be wrong . It will at some point better to start out right. I would really change it out. They need to kept between 60/65 degrees I think that below 20 cel. but not shure. You also need to cycle the tank first. Have all ready bought the axie?

no, i havent got an axie yet. what do you mean by cycle the tank and how do i keep the temp 60/65?

Cycle is when you have the right amount of bactria in the tank. It could take up to 6 weeks. Temp frozen water bottles or a fan blowing across the top of the water. It is vary hard for me explain how to cycle the tank but if you do a search there is lots info about it here. Or you can but a chiller but their alot money. Sence you have not gotten the axie yet I would tank the tank down rinse it out use sand or you can have a bare bottom take some people use bug stones but it is vary hard to clean food get trapped between the stone and rots in the water. What did they tell you to feed?

There are many plants that can be kept with axolotl!
I will give you a list of cool water plants. You dont want tropicals because it is too cold for them and none of those terrestial plants that stores pass off as aquatic, we don't want any dead plants.
Here we go!

Valisneria spiralis
Eloda
Lysimachia Nummularia (creeping jenny)
Sagittaria platypylla
Potamogeton crispus
Eleocharis parvula
Ludwiga
Duckweed
Hornwort (good at combating algae, fast grower)
Various aquatic mosses, such as java moss
Saururus cernuus
Salvinia
Riccia Fluitans
Spatterdock
java fern

Plants NOT to buy that are often sold as aquatic:
anything that is a Dracaena, such as lucky bamboo, Caladium, Mondo grass, fountain plant

this is not a complete list, but a nice sampling of plants to keep with Mr. Axolotl!Remeber, plants need about 10-12 hours of light so make sure you have a light above your tank for healthy plants.

What do you mean by lucky bamboo? I have bamboo in both of my tanks and it is doing really good. Will it hurt my axies. It has really grown alot in my tanks. If posable can you explain cycle to Linsey it is really hard for mr to put it in words . Thanks

hey, when i went to pet shop they told me to set my tank up, leave it two weeks and then bring a water sample in for them to test then i could have my axi. why do i need to cycle my tank? is it not ok just for my axi to go in without doing it? also do i need a heater for my tank? what sort of food do i get in and how often do i feed

No heater!!! How much to feed kindy depends on the size of the axie. I feed mine mostly frozen blood worms once or twice frozen beef heart. Other people like to feed live earth worms I don't like dealing with live food. I'am not shur but I think you could put it in with out cyceling but it would need water changes every day not shure much water to change out. You can look threw the other threads to find out more about cyceling the tank. I'am not godd at explaing it sorry.

i have rang the pet shop who sold me sand and i asked for a refund as it cost me £10! he said that he knew a lot of people that use bird sand and that its fine?

He dose not want to give you a refund. It really messes with the ph and will cause your axie lots of problems later on. When I first got mine they told me put him in a tropical tank with gravel. He was in with clown loaches bala shark barbs. If you want to try it you can but real think it is a bad idea in the long run. Maybe you should look at the FAQ that will help you alot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back