Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many toes are Axolotls meant to have???

T

tom

Hey i know this is really random, but recently i have noticed that 1 of my three axolotls has got 5 toes on each of his back legs however the other 2 axolotls have only 4. Why is this? and how many are they supposed to have? Cheers

J

jay

They should have 4 toes on their front feet and five toes on their back. Their back feet should also be a little bit of web between their five toes
wink.gif

M

matthew

his feet may have been bitten off, and he's regrown an extra pair (always handy) or it could just be his genetics. It's nothing to worry about at any rate.

S

sabrina

One of my Axies, is having on one back leg, only 4 toes and on the other back leg, 4 toes + 1 double one- two toes that grown over each other!
I had this Axie wenn he was already 10-12 cm so it could be that he already lost a leg and that it growed back like that ! But it's certainly not disturbing him in anything, he's very active and walking and swimming a lot around....
wink.gif

J

joan

I have one that has only three toes on the front foot, and one that looks like it's doing the 'star trek' symbol with it's fingers.

4 on the front and 5 on the back is the norm for all ambystomatid salamanders. However, regeneration's not always perfect, so you get some oddities.

N

nora

Gonnie has extra toes. It's awesome. ^^ He has four on each front foot, but one toe has a little one spurting out of it. On his back right foot he has a total extra toe (6) and on his back left he has five. It's so cool!

C

callum

Gill has only 3 toes on his front right foot, the middle one is longer then the other two too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1