Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to feed with deep water?

M

morrissey

I'm soon to move my Olive & Oliver to a much bigger tank, and the water level will be raised from 8" now to around 15" water deep.
As the tank's too tall and I think it's difficult to feed them by hands or so...how could I still feeding them with pellets and without any problem, since in this height, I may not even able to drop the pellets right in front of them
Do you think even if i dropped in other side of the tank, they can still able to smell it out?
Thanks!
happy.gif

C

clay

use a small pvc pipe and slide the pellets down it like a builders shoot

D

deb

I know just what you mean Morrissey - I've recently moved 3 juveniles (about 4 mths old) into a larger tank (75 cm long) and the added depth has been a challenge for feeding. I've always hand fed the axies with bits of meat and worms etc, but I find they're reluctant to come to the surface as they did in the smaller tank. Interestingly, the leucistics are far more likely to swim up than the wild-types - don't know why. I'm using a kebab stick to lower food to their level if they refuse to come up to see me. Not sure of how to lower pellets.

heihei

Reaction score
I use kebab sticks and handfeed! Though my sister's axies don't usually swim up unless they're ravenous; so the tanks that are too high I use a kebab stick and jiggle the worms; and the lower tanks on the floor I handfeed - most times my hand is in the water. Hers don't eat pellets, so can't help you there, unless you just drop it on their caves.

A

annmarie

You know those bamboo tweeser like things for putting eggs, meat, large vegetables in hot pot or something? I have one that is fairly long and I use that to feed axolotl things like worms or blood worms.

mine is like in this picture, but longer http://images.crateandbarrel.com/is/image/CrateandBarrel/BambooUtensils?$md$

as for eating off the bottom, when i drop in pellets, my guys eat off the bottom and suck them all up. I use a peice of slate the food drops on. a little food dish can be useful for pellets or foods that cannot be hand fed.

D

danny

My water is quite deep as well.. I just put my arm in the water and hand feed them.. the same when I'm poop-busting..

"Don't forget to bring a towel!"
- Towelie

M

morrissey

Thanks for all your advice!
I will try those but sometimes I just avoid to out my hands into the water before I wash my hand really clean.
And another problem is that I'm not a tall guy, and it makes me a little difficult to reach the btm of the tank, mostly I need to climb up on a chair to do it....lol!

A

annmarie

I and my partner are a bit small too and we have to stand on a chair to feed or clean the 55 gallon axolotl home on a stand. So don't worry, your not the only one. That is why i have very very long babmboo things to feed them. They sell them all over by us in Chinatown in the houseware store and in the Japanese Mall. Items in Houseware stores, especially kitchen utensils can become great tools in axolotl keeping, i am sure you will find a nice tool to keep your hands dry.

M

mary

yes i have to admit that is one of the main reasons i don't fill my tank up- i get eczema on my hands and often put ointment on- have to wash it off before venturing into the tank and sometimes forget and put a nasty film on their water!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1