Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to breed ghost shrimp?

S

sherri

Has anybody done this? If so, please let me know how to go about it. I usually buy about 30 ghost shrimps, but after quaranteeing them for 30 days, there is only about 4 left. They don't last very long with my axies! Would like to have a constant, safe supply of them at home. Any advice

F

forrest

go for cherry shrimp, aparently they are tank breed rather easy.

Not sure the size of ghost shrimp, but cherrys are small.

J

jennifer

From what I've read, ghost shrimp do not breed easily in aquariums. There have been incidents of offspring appearing, but it seems to be rare. One problem is that the hatchling shrimp are incredibly tiny, and are usually either sucked up by the filter and/or eaten by the adults. Try doing a Google search, there may be other info out there.

A

anna

Maybe you should keep some of your ghost shrimp in a breeding tank for a while and see if any little ones pop up.

C

clay

try using a small sponge filter it shouldnt suck them up and they can feed on the micro organisms in /on it

S

sherri

Thanks all. They are in a 25 litre tank with a small sponge filter, and I have also put a tiny amount of salt there, as read this may help breeding. But no such luck. I gott ado a google search on cherry shrimp, if they are easier to breed...
happy.gif

A

annmarie

I breed ghost shrimp, but many shrimp are called ghost shimp, this is the problem using common names.

The ghost shrimp you have in the UK is differnt that what i have here, a freshwater Palaemonentes shrimp. The shrimp sold in the UK or EU as ghost shrimp usualy, also, are local species, most are actually brakish shrimps or their young need brackishwater for development. I would read about "how to breed amano shrimp" for dealing with a shrimp who reproduces this way.

If you really want shrimp, look towards germany, they have many ornamental shrimps fairly easy to breed, even varieties not found where I live.

A

annmarie

Cherries are easy! Mine are breeding machines. When the breeding and main shrimp tank get crowded a throw a few in with the axolotls and those are growing very fast despite the lower temp.
crystals do better in soft and acidic water, with ph's in the mid 6-low 7s. If you have water that is hard and basic like me, it is a chore getting great water ready for breeding, but is worth it. To an extent most of these shrimps are ver adaptable. Cherries and their wild forms (which are beautiful also, look for the Genus "NEOCARIDINA") are very very prolific breeders and you will not run out of them anytime soon, unless your tank crashes.

If you guys are looking for shrimp information, I sugest the following links:

petshrimp.com
shrimpnow.com

both are forums specifically dealing with shrimp as a hobby/pet. One can get information on how to raise hard to breed shrimp and specific water chemistry ideal for your shrimp to live in.

Goodluck with those shrimp

F

forrest

Hey AnnMarie how many months for a cherry shrimp to achieve full size from baby?

A

annmarie

Well, my oldest babies are about 6 weeks old. They are gettting big slowly, but not as slow as the ghost shrimps. It is like 14 weeks for Neocaridina heteropoda, that is the cherry shrimp and its wild form.

S

sherri

Ah, great info! Am gonna go to the petshop this weekend to see if they can sell me some cherry shrimps.
AnnMarie, how much light do you use? Do you have a special aquarim light for them, or is normal daylight enough?

A

annmarie

I don't have the money for a fancy set up ATM so i just use regular flourescent lighting that is usual with aquarium. i have lots of plants so it is on 10-12 hours a day.

i hope you can find some cherry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1