Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blue Axolotl??

J

jay

Hi All,

I dropped into a petshop today, and looked at their axies, there was 2 adults, one was a creamy coloured speckly pattern and the other was blue, possibly with some speckles on it. Has anyone seen this before?? I didnt get to ask the people in the shop as it was about to close. it was $80 for the pair

C

cori

I have never seen a blue axolotl, although I have seen a gun-metal grey one and one that appeared to be slightly purple!

Wish they weren't so far away, would love to be able to see a blue axolotl!

Just hope it's healthy and not some strange disease or something.

Regards Eastern_axle

J

jay

I think we might have to go down there tomorrow and find out. I would love to get a picture of both of them to show everyone on the forum. They looked so gorgeous, i wish i had space for them...}

S

sara

If you could get a picture that'd be great! I'm so curious and they sound beautiful.

C

cori

Ahhh good thought, can they do that?
What a horrible thing to do to an animal!

Regards Eastern_axle

J

jay

I went down there and had a chat with them, apparently they cant sell them atm because the "blue one" may be sick. They said it was ok for me to get some photo's for you guys. The Axie doesnt look as blue in the photo as it does in reality, but its so gorgeous, I also got a photo of the creamy coloured one, they said they can try to get more in the next few weeks, once they sell the 2 they have, once the blue one is better of course. So hopefully Jayde and i can get a few more. Here you go...

75645.jpg

75646.jpg

A

amber

Melanoid! :D
And they want to be off that gravel for a start, that's probably why it's sick. Tell them to put sheets of slate in so they can't get to the gravel. They can swallow it (quite a LOT of it actually) and cause serious damage to their insides, like nasty blockages.
Impaction as it's otherwise known can easily be lethal.

Also, tell them to put them in the Coldwater section
happy.gif

J

jay

They are in the cold water section, its a filter in the background, their water was so nice and cold. I will talk to them again in the next few days

A

amber

Good to hear. If the store gets them off the gravel, they'll be happier, as they won't get bellyfuls of it.
happy.gif

I was amazed how much my 'lotl had eaten, she was pooping blue fish store gravel for up to two months...

S

susan

You can definitely see the blue, especially when you compare it to the black in the corner. Absolutely Beautiful. I wonder if it will stay that way or turn black as it gets bigger?

J

jay

its already about a foot long so i dont think it will grow much bigger, but stil so beautiful

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1