Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Egg Eater!

J

jacob

One of my oldest male leucistic axies was actively eating eggs that one of my gold females laid just hours before. Strange, I have never witnessed that before, at least not w/axolotls. I fed them all several hours prior to this incident, but he only seemed to eat the ones on the bottom of the tank. At least those were the only ones that I saw him eat. He was removed very shortly after I realized what was happening.

A

amber

That's pretty normal.
Remove the eggs, not the 'lotl
happy.gif

Eggs are just another foodsource, as will be the babies when they hatch, so they're best in their own, cycled tank.
He was probably trolling around for food, as axolotl are walking food bins, found the eggs, thought "ooh, eggs - lunch" - and ate em.

C

cori

He he he, love the way you describe axie behaviour Amber!

Not so good for the little axie eggs! Hope no more become axie munchies!

All the best!

Regards Eastern_axle

J

jacob

this is the first time any of mine have done so, at least with me witnessing it. I guess, a few hundred survivors is not so bad anyhow.

A

amber

Thank you Cori.

Then IMO you've been very lucky, congrats!
Perhaps now's the time to set up a breeders tank?

J

jacob

That is what I have them in. 3 Males, 4 females in a 55 gallon tank. Usually I remove all of the other axolotls once I see the eggs, but this time I didn't, but probably only lost a few.

A

amber

*grins* I mean a breeders tank for the EGGS.
It's easier to move the eggs than the 'lotls.

Takes up less space than two full sized axie habitats see.

You can just lift the plants out, pop it into the breeders tank (rearing tank) and you're done - rather than having to fight with grumpy lotties lol!

Spyyk always gets mardy if I have to take her out for some reason - I abandoned the net completely as she learned to jump out, and pick her up instead. Wet, clean hands and she doesn't mind half as much. Escapes much less too.
Last time was a substrate swap, she had to sit in the spare for a day and sulked...

J

jacob

Oh, I don't keep my eggs in the tank. I take the other axies out (other than the female that laid the eggs). Two days after the eggs are laid, I remove the decorations w/eggs attached and place them in tubs with mild aeration if there are a lot of them. Then I raise the larvae in tubs until they are four inches long.

I misunderstood what you meant. I thought by "breeder tank" you meant a tank for breeding, not a larvae rearing tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1