Making axolotl documentary

G

green

my high school is having a movie making competition and i have decided to start my movie really early (3 months
crazy.gif
). im making a documentary about the conditions axolotls have to face in captivity (specifically pet shops and markets) if anyone has video or can take some videos of axolotls in a local petshop could they please, please ,please e-mail it to me at evilfuzzle@hotmail.com.(i will put your name in the credits if you want)

thanks in advance!!!!
happy.gif

I have to get more food 4 my axi soon so i will be going to a pet shop, if i remember i will take some photos!!!!!

What a great idea!
I know a couple of pet shops that would be a great example, Is phone video ok?

Regards Eastern_axle

Not sure if what you're doing is possible - I don't think pet stores will look kindly on you waltzing in and documenting evidence that will reflect on them and their business negatively :S

I agree with Matthew, but you could always trick them by saying it's for a school project or something.
biggrin.gif

It's probably not going to stick. Firstly, as it is private property, you need permission to film there. Secondly, they're gonna know something's up when you film the sick animals, or go looking for them.

More often than not it's amateur keepers here that end up causing the axolotls more discomfort then they ever received in the pet store...So perhaps you should and talk to the people who have had their pets die on them recently as an alternative.

Actually, shops count as public property when it comes to legal legislation.
However, they won't like it if you photograph names or trademarks.
HOWEVER - if you take photos of just the items, they can't really complain, and they're not allowed to take it off you.

I had a look into this when I worked in a rather unsavoury store- I've worked in retail since I was 13 and have worked in quite a few stores big and small, and have an NVQ2 for it lol.

Amber, you don't know the laws here in Australia, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same, if not similar copyright laws existed in Britain.

I don't know where you got the idea that a business is public property. It's not owned by government; it's owned by the owner of the business. Hence why businesses generally don't let you walk in off the street after hours - unlike if you felt like taking a midnight stroll through a park or alleyway.

If you are filming from the street which is owned by the government and thusly is classified public property, then you do not need to have anyone sign any release forms.

But, if you plan to film inside their premises, not only do you need signed permission from the owner, you also need permission from the occupier of the property. This is inherent in businesses owned by (for example) Joe Blogs but managed by (for example) Mr Pink.

As you will be showing it to people, you need to have them sign a location release form.

Failure to acquire the right permission can result in the owner/occupier of a business to file for trespass and copyright infringement. You do not want to be in that position.

I notice you're a sydneysider just like myself, Green McBean. You need to contact the NSW FTO for more information and clarification.

I'm not 100% on the legal issues, but I am pretty sure if you didn't show their company logo or anything that could be directly linked back to them you should be ok....

Think today tonight & a current affair, they regularly do stories on bad food and retail outlets they never show the brand or store name, that excludes them from the release.

As long as the footage you show doesn't have people in it and doesn't directly show or blame a specific pet store and only shows a general look at the captive life of axolotls, there is really no grounds for legal action.

Regards Eastern_axle

If you arent 100% sure, why are you commenting?

Do you have any idea about the legalities behind filming and the subsequent display of on broadcast television?

If not, 'nuff said.

Matthew, If you dont show the name, logo or anything which would allow a viewer to decipher the company, then you are fine to film legally. You may NOT film any person without their permission, at my last check animals did not come under this law. However, the owner may have an issue with it so I would recommend that you ask permission first.

just pretend u r texting people thats what i do. and matthew calm down!!!

i intend to blur out faces and logos of everything because it is not a name and shame video, it is purely to demonstrate how people dont take care of them properly. i dont want to say certain shops cant take care of them properly

If a 15 year old student goes in and asks for permission to video some tanks the store owner or attendants will probably say fine. If their axolotls are not properly cared for they probably don't even realize it. I went to a store that kept their axolotls in a feeder gold fish tank. The ammonia level was high and their were dead fish floating in the tank. The owner said "They should get plenty to eat with all of those fish in their." I think he also said he wasn't sure if the tank was warm enough or not. He was clueless so I clued him in in a nice way.

Ah that's true - Sorry Gaara, didn't notice it was for Australia.
That's UK regs anyway
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back