Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie toys(!?!) do you guys have them?

A

alex

hi
in a thread in the axie gallery, someone mentioned having axie toys, like a sunken ping pong ball, and i was wandering if there were any other "axie toys" around. what do you have, ive got the ping pong ball and they love it, is there anything else i could add?

J

jacob

I give them pvc piping, and sometimes an air-stone at the bottom of the tank. Certain individuals will ride the bubbles to the top, sink down, and do it again.

A

amber

Yes!
Oh, you're talking to the master of Toydom here!
Spyyk's so spoilt she doesn't know what to do!

She has:

glass shotglasses-hours of fun sticking her nose in, climbing on them etc

Ping pong balls - bouncy, bitable, chaseable, bright and safe

A mass of different stones, all safe sizes and shapes - great to sniff, climb and sleep on, destroy piles of etc

Marimo moss balls - see pingpong, but have added value of smelling and feeling different, moves differently and can be slept on.

Plastic budgie toys - hoops, all sorts of dangly things. Plastic knitting needle over the tank and thread them on!

Big rounded edged glass objects - food bowls, climbing toys, things to stare into...

Mirror! - yes, she likes to "fight off" the other axolotl occasionally, and stares at herself a lot.

Plants - fun to climb, and occasionally chew.

Vegetable clip (for tropical fish normally) - provides hours of fun with a slice of well soaked ham/chicken/turkey in it. Tug of war!

Shrimp - her little pets. She likes to follow them around and they keep things tidy.

Her bed (Interpet Nautical Treasures Log tunnel medium) - you can sleep in it, on it, behind it, climb on it, run through it, jump out of the window and scare people, sniff up the "branch" where the shrimp hides...

Air stone (sometimes) - she's daft and likes to "eat" the bubbles, sit on it, float about etc.

Hammock (bogwood coated in moss suspended with microfibre nylon - very strong nylon!) - she occasionally likes to sit on this, the shrimp like hiding in it, and it provides shade under it.
Also useful if your 'lotl likes to take airbubbles from the surface - they can do it with ease by sitting on it.

Probably a whole heap of other stuff too...

She does have a small Galileo's thermometer, but I wouldn't reccommend this to everyone, as it does contain neat alcohol.
Mine goes in a safe quiet corner, and she just pushes it around sometimes. It also tells me how hot it is in there. And it wibbles when you sniff it apparantly.

I'll leave you guys with that lot for now - I'll think about other ideas.

Oh, I forgot Cuddles the Snail. He and she are used to each other, and both like to scare each other sometimes. She's even been known to hitch lifts on his back, or use him as a stool to reach up for something.
He eats the dead plants and other leftovers that the shrimp miss, with some vegetable thrown in now and then.

It's very funny watching Spyyk try to tackle a sliced green bean...

D

daniel

i have a glass ball for benny to attempt to climb over... inspired by ambers shot glass idea
happy.gif

A

annmarie

Amber, you should have a whole website with lots of pics deditcated to fun time with axolotls and great ways to give them toys. I have never heard of anyone so dedicated to keeping their axolotls with toys. Hey, maybe it can improve axolotl mental health. :p Who knows, maybe you can even "sell" axolotl toys for people with no time to make some, if there is great enough demand.

I love how your hammock sounds, have a pic of axolotl in it?

A

amber

*laughs* I REALLY need to get round to updating that sometime.

I'll have to take some more photos for it too.

Spyyk's so much fun with a camera, she just loves the attention!

A

annmarie

o_O Yes! Spyyk blog!Now I can find out about the project Hammock!

I was thinking about getting my guy a turtle ramp to modify that stays in water. Gonna cover it with moss ! was going to cover it with riccia, but axolotl tears out tied up riccia so much.

(Message edited by mantighoul on November 27, 2006)

S

sabrina

Toys, my two ones also have toys, they have a moss ball, on which they are doing some circus acts.
They are having some fake tree parts were they are always in balance on !
I had a question about the air stones, do they really like this a lot, I have one but never installed it because I thought they will be afraid of it. You are all writting that you but this one sometimes, was is this exactly meaning, one time a week or ??
Thanks for the advice, I will than also install this in their home, lets see if they will also play with the bubbels.
I will also give them a pingpong ball... will see if they get entrained by all this...

W

wendy

Amber, your site is great! I real interesting read! I'm certainly gonna be testing out a few of your ideas!!

Sabrina, Gilly has an air wand, about 3 inches long, he loves walking through it, sitting on it and trying it eat the bubbles.

A

alex

i think im gonna have to add some more toys for my axies. ive got loads of tubing, a pingpong ball, a huge white rock, and bamboo, as well as reeds, from papyrus which is growing out of the top of the tank, what other toys could you have.
o yea, ive also added some weighted hamster pipes, they love that!

S

sherri

Amber, your site is great! And Spyyk is sooo spoiled and so cute,hihi
lol.gif

Alex, where did you get your axie from? She looks a bit like my Axelina
happy.gif

A

alex

hi
i got my axie from a local pet shop(maurices pet shop in amersham, last stop on the metropolitan line)
they were in a pair, both wildies, and both in outstanding condition. before i got them, the guy working there quizzed me for a good 5 or 10 minutes, to check that i was gonna look after them, i was really impressed.
i got my leucistic from pets at home, i wont even go into that. i just felt sorry for them, they were in a tank with gravel, and with cichlids!
dear o dear
i had a ryt go at them

A

amber

*laughs*
Thank you all for the compliments!

If there's anything I missed, let me know - I intend to update on Tuesday, with new photos and info!

As for the "sometimes" with the bubbler - I turn it on for a few minutes every few days when she's awake and I've time to sit and watch her play!

You're more than welcome AnneMarie - you can tie the moss down firm with plain cotton then. It won't be pulled off easily, and the shrimp LOVE to hide in it.

As I said, have I missed anything from Spyyk's site?

If so, let me know and I'll add it later!

A

amber

*grins again*
Will be taking photos tonight, so be prepared for a full update.
I'll be editing the whole lot to make it tidier.

A

annmarie

"Nature's huh?"

I always used called them "What-olotls" so I totally understand your tag. most people who meet my axolotls usualy just call them "WTF is that" my grandma calls it a swimming giant sperm, dont ask cus even I don't know. My dad just calls them mudpuppies and thinks i am silly for getting a "mudpuppy" (we used to catch mudpuppies when we used to smelt fish behind the Shedd Aquarium and Planertarium, can't do that anymore)

At least I will have something to do today between laundry and grocery and water changes and preparing for my interview- checking out Spyyks pages!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!