Happy Birthday, Mr. Axolotl!

A

annmarie

I am so excited! Yesterday I went to visit the parents and as a birthday/christmas present I aquired my dads old 55 gallon! Now talk about axolotl farm! I cleaned it up really well there and he is dropping it off this sunday! I think all teh axolotls need to send my dad a nice thank you card for the Holidays now! Great thing is, I just ordered a bunch of sand for my invert-only tank I been setting up. I cannot wait to get more stores to make more caves for the axolotl family!

What is an axolotl stocking density for a 55 gallon, not that I am getting more axolotl....I just want to know!

Hi AnnMarie! I keep most of my breeding adults in 55 gallon tanks, and depending on size, I keep about 7 in each tank, give or take depending on size.

Thanks! I think all four of mine will love it. right now i have 2 in 2 20 L's and i tested their temperment with each other and all seem to get along with no aggression. The leutistic and the melanistic like to even share the same cave together, even though there are 4 other empty caves to chose from. I am sure they will thrive in the 55. At least now if i ever wanted to get a golden albino...

Hey, speaking of gold albinos.
I have over 100 that are about 1-1.25 inches now. Most have hind limbs coming in. They will probably be ready to go to new homes in a few weeks!
Are you still planning on beginning a breeding project of your own?

I still plan on my project and now that I have the 55g I can start much sooner. It should be cycled and ready to go by the time your goldens are "for sale" if you feel like selling off a few...

My male melanistic is currently laying little pyramids in the sand o_O

Sweet!
Yeah, my original breeding colonies had them on some of the rocks too just yesterday.
Then, today, one of my white albino females began to lay eggs! This is good because I haven't gotten any whites in a spawn yet, other than leucistic.
-

(Message edited by Ed on December 10, 2006)

Please do not use the discussion forums to arrange trade or swap animals/eggs. If you want to discuss swaps or trade please use the PM function to email each other or post a “for sale” ad in the relevant section.
Thanks very much
happy.gif

grats on your white albinos!

So far I will have a colony in my 55 that are all males and my young-uns are still too young to really determine. I am hoping the one I named "Jadwiga" is a girl. That is the tiny tiger stripped one I aquired.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back