The best water level for Axie?

M

morrissey

Hi!
I'm wondering what's the best water level for axie? I read from axolotl.org, it mentions 6" deep? I'm not sure, and my tank's water level's around 8".

You can fill your tank all the way to the top if you want it doesn't really matter. It your tank has a lid you can fill to top. If not fill tank and leave about two inches away from top. Thats my advice. Hope this helps

We have a 35cm high tank and keep our water level at about 30cm/12inches. We used to have it at about 20cm/8inches when they were smaller (3 inches) but only cos it was easier to feed them as they were smaller.

Fill mine to the top (15 inches)

Benny rarely swims to the top and chooses to sit on the air stone instead

Gilly enjoys swimming around his tank, so his is filled to the top - the tank does have a lid too, so I know he's safe!

My two axies also like to swim around, they are really swimming a lot every evening, so their tank is also filled to the top - 50 cm (inch ?)high.

As long as it's enough for them to be comfortable.
Usually as deep as the lotls are long.

Mine's full to the top - means the water column is more stable.

you know the rim of the aquarium? the brown or black trimming, yeah? well i keep my water 3-7 cm below it, usually 4. I have no lid so water evaporates fast here in winter. I have one of those filters that has a waterfall on it, so i had to glue some fakeplants to the outflow so it wouldnt keep me up all nite.

to be honest it doesnt matter, coz when has anyone ever seen their axies ever actively swimming about??
my tank is about 10" because i havent got a lid, so ive got bog and margin plants growing out of it, so my axies have reed to play about in!

mine seem to like touching their noses on the surface, so i have mine low(ish) enough for them to come to the surface for feeding, but deep enough for them to swim about. My tank is crazy though, its very tall (so tall, that even at 6'2 I have to use a stool to stand on to get my arm in to touch the bottom of the tank).

Sorry to disagree Alex, but my axie's swim around their tank ALL the time.... Specially my Ash he has developed a little routine, just shows that all axie's are different hey?

My opinion though, as long as your tank is well aerated then the depth shouldn't matter too much unless your axie seems uncomfortable.

Regards Eastern_axle

Spyyk's a lazy madam, but she likes to have a swim round every now and then.

I found her half-swimming, half-climbing the vallis today...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back