What made you choose your axie ? (If there was more than one to choose from)

K

karen

Just wondered as I was thinking of when I got mine.

I spent HOURS in the local pet shop choosing what was going to be my axie. And I went back 3 times to double check lol.

There was a choice of about 20 - 10 wild 10 leucistic. I picked the one that looked the most active, had the cutest face (something you can't describe and maybe everyone has their own opinions on what does and doesn't appeal to them - but personally I prefer the rounder faced axies whose faces don't appear as reptile like) if that makes sense to anyone !

Anyway yes, I chose according to :
type
face
activity
size
sex

I had it all planned, but after i had fianlly chosen and went back to pick it up - it was dead !

I left the shop crying and was really angry at the pet shop.

Anyway the next day I happened to pop into a pet shop just round the corner, they hadn't had axies in for ages and hey presto - there were 2 leucistics sitting in the tank - apparently return sales from someone who had bought them but no longer wanted them.

Once again (but this time with just 2 to choose from lol), I spent about an hour watching them (and waiting for the shop owner to tell me "for god's sake hurry up !) lol. They were almost identical in every way - except that one had a gravel shaped lump in his belly, so after explaining to the owners they should change to sand, I picked the other one and took him home
:)

I got my Simba (golden albino) out of extreme sympathy and the desire to rescue him. He was in a tank with a female golden albino which was twice his size and very sick. The poor little boy looked so wretched that I had to take him home.
My little wildtype girl (Decla) I chose out of two yet again. I picked her cause she had such a cute face, big eyes and she looked like she was smiling.
There is another one I wanted due to it being an unusual colour (at least in coffs) but I had no money at the time and I reckon its probably gone by now
sad.gif
. If she is still there next time I go there I will definately get her.

When I went to get my axie(whose name happens to be axie! lol) there were only three in the tank two olive coloured and one white. As I had never really seen them before the white one freaked me out a little! So i decided to go with a olive one. I just told the pet shop lady that i wanted a olive one and she plucked out the first olive one she could get. So it was kind of like he was meant for me!! lol... over the last week and a half ive had him ive fallen in love with him more... we've had many great conversations too!! me always talking... i just think he's shy!!

I chose both of my Axies in the same way, Just looked for the one that seemed most active and looked at me more when I peered in the tank =P

I had the choice of two leucistics. One was slightly smaller than the other and had lost all it's toes, whereas the bigger one just had a nip in the tail, and seemed a lot more active, so I picked the bigger one and named it Carlito (Carlito is just a nickname. Xannon, which means "ancient god" is his real name. Xannon just sounds kinda weird though...)

i suppose it was because sally was so laid back that she was almost asleep.
plus my wife thought she was the cutest.

How did i choose moomin? She was the only one in the store with all her gills or limbs and who wasn't floating on the surface of the water or dieing od starvation. The store dosen't really know how to look after them.

I got my Kuro Ryu because I wanted a cute black axolotl. Named him Kuro Ryu (Black Dragon in Japanese) because he's all black and his gills looks like the chinese dragon's mane.

First one i ever had, believe it or not walmart had them, all goldens. I never realized they had came in that color i had only seen black one in my bio class. There was 3 goldens, i picked the most normal and youngest looking one.

Since i was no good at fish keeping he died about 6 months later.

Saw 2 more real tiny babys at a LFS i took both home, again one died fast and the other lasted me about 2 years roughly.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Forrest Rosetti on Wednesday 30 August 2006 - 12:10 (#POST104824):</font>

believe it or not walmart had them<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

0_0 Walmart?? And I thought it was a food, furniture, toys superstore! (Off topic: that stupid suprestore is planning to ruin Coles in Australia. Saw on the news they shut down so many stores in America)

my boyfriend wanted the really big golden one - but it had creepy eyes... dont know how, but it did.

I chose Axl cos he was brown/olive and he was the only one. Also, he has a big cute face and he was looking at me when I picked him. we were meant to go in to buy a siamese fighting fish (cos our big old boy "bruce" died) - then my boyfriend saw them and wanted one.

I must admit I was reluctant, but after the first few hand feedings - I fell in love.

We live in a unit and cant have pets with fur or feathers, but axl is like a little amphibious dog that lives in his water bowl. He is excited whenever you aknowledge him or come home, he dances when he wants food, he swims and he even humps the plants - just like a dog. I love him.

I got my Y Ju (chinese name) around 1 - 2 months ago ~ She's my first Axolotl ~

I was only going in the Pet shop to look at dogs and then I ended up in the fish section ~ I saw 4 of them in the plastic bags ~ They had just arrived ~

I saw Y Ju trying to swim out of a closed bag (-_-") and she was the most active out of all of them ~ The prettiest and very round ~ So I decided to get her.....

She's even fatter than before now and bigger ~ I starting to think she is overweight ~ Haha ~

Jaspie ~

I chose my axie gill because i really wanted a brown spotted axie but i chose a different one and in the mad flurry as the pet shop owner tryed to catch it, the one i chose was bitten by another axie! I wanted a healthy axie so i chose the only other brown spotty one in the tank who now swims happily in my tank and has never showed any sign of illness.

I chose mine because one pet store just sold out the last one as we entered so they apparantly ordered some. a week later no axies, so we went to another store that allways had them, admittedly there were more, 12 wild type 14 albino, but they were all sluggish and poorly look after. Then after an hour or so of searching I found Twisty swiming in this tube thing, he approched the front and stared at me, then attacked another axolotl, I thought, fiesty, I want you. Now hes here and I wish I got a wild type ah well Twisty is doing well.

I sadly was never able to choose my axolotls. The first ones that I got were from a guy I know at the reptile show a few towns over, and he had a big pickle jar of them, and he just grabs and what he picks out you get. A lot of them were missing all of their arms. The others were either ordered from another breeder or the last two albinos in this little reptile attraction I went to (they didn't have their facts straight on the animals though).

with me there were 2 wilds(1 olive), and they wre both in fantastic condition, and they were both cuddling up together so i got them.
the other one i got from a "pet superstore" where basically they were in a tank with cichlids, and were being advertised as suitable for tropical and coldwater community, so i picked out the cute one with the
"please alex take me away from this hell hole and i will love you forever with all my heart"
expression on her face

Spyyk was a special example of my fish stores dedication.

Spyyk came in with a couple of undernourished little creatures, and I advised them how to care for them.
Gary and Alan also held Spyyk in the greatest care for three weeks until my tank was safe to take her home, as she was the runtiest of the lot!

Ziggy was sent to my friend Mandy (I'm on call for her gang) because he was terribly ill, and mistaken as the one put aside to send to us... That's how he got here.

The late Ari was rescued from an ignorant owner and put into my care. He's the one I'm most sad about, as he was doing so well...

I got my first axolotl from the pet store and he was the only black one in a tank of browns. He also had 3 back toes only and still does. I was going to go back to buy the others a month later, cus i got my 20 long, and then my pet store burned down. It was mostly a fish store that I grew up with and they were nice people i knew there and I talked to them about ordering me a pink axolotl...Since they burned down I had to wait 3 years later, get my own appartment, aquire another 20 long, aquire more expereince. I found my self leveled up enough to aquire axolotl no. 2
axolotl no. 2 was ordered from breeder through the mail. mail order axolotl.
axolotl 3 and 4 were also from breeder, but local. I got to drive up and pick them out. Out of the whole bucket of axolotls, no missing limbs or gills, was hard to choose, no ugly axolotls there :p

Oh yeah, all my axolotls from breeder were from caudata.org forum people. Hooray!

That is the story of axolotl buying, I always keep my eyes open for yellow wildtypes when I axie shop because that is my special kind of axie that I always look for.

(Message edited by mantighoul on November 27, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back