Tiger salamanders and axolotls

B

bear

I was wondering. Can an axolotl and a tiger salamander live together, eat the same food and breed.

I think it's not a good way to keep them together, and Tiger Salamander basically lives on ground but not like Axolotl, they live under water for their whole life.

Neotenic tigers have bred with axolotls. This is where the albino strain comes from.

Some people think that axolotls are an evolved form of tiger salamanders that stayed underwater because food was abundant and the conditions were better below the water than above. Even if this isn't true, they are still closely related and eat pretty much the same food. Tiger salamanders love the water even after they have morphed, so you could keep an axolotl and a tiger salamander in the same tank, as long as there is enough water for the axolotl and a bit of land for the tiger salamander- several people have done it before.

Shaun, where do you get your information that tiger salamanders love water? Tiger sals are fossoral. They live underground, and in the wild only venture into water during breeding season.

It is not appropriate to keep an adult tiger salamander in an aquatic tank. They are completely terrestrial.

Terrestrial tiger salamanders can not be kept with aquatic axolotls.

Juvenile tiger salamanders can be kept with axolotls, but it is not recommended. They can be very aggressive, and will possibly eat your axolotls, even if at similar sizes.

i was thinking about mixing them, purely because ive got a spare 6 foot tank, so i could have a 50/50, half dry, half wet, with each in their individual bits, but free to roam.
any suggestions?

i would suggest getting a divider in the tank, that way they would share but not have any of the problems described above

yea, il probably do that, or ill divide it into 3 tanks, and have 3 differant species of newts
happy.gif

bit late but saying for fact they have mated in the wild maybe if you kept a female axolotl and a make tiger or the other way around it would work or get a axolotl witch is related to a tiger salamander even id say great great grampa is tiger salamander for that

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back