Any owners in London

T

tracey

Hi are there any owners on this forum based in Central London?

I also work in Central London, but live in East London. Why? Curios now. I guess this is axie related
happy.gif

Well i'm new to this whole Axie owning lark and interested in finding people who might be local(ish) who can help with things like, any good places to go in town to get live food or who might know any pet shops in town that actually know what they are talking about when it comes to Axolotls? am finding nothing but blank looks in the shops i've been to so far.
animal.gif

Tracey, welcome! There is quite a few pet shops that sell axies in London (none of them have axies in all the time, but every once in a while) but please don't trust their advice. They mainly know about fish,and try to sell products to you that are not suitable for axies. This has happened to me many times. I have been assured that something eg.medication is fine for axies, only for me to find out it is poisonous for them!This forum is the best place for expert advice.
Good luck
happy.gif

Oh, as for food, most aquarium shops stock earth worms, frozen blood worms, live shrimp etc

(Message edited by sherrisixxx on November 20, 2006)

This forum has been invaluable to me in starting out and i still pester with questions nearly every day!
smile9.gif

Yep - I was told by the shop I got mine from that

a) I shouldn't feed her for at least 2 weeks as she needs to get used to her new environment as it was better for her to be hungry while getting used to new home! and

b)she should be fed Peco pellots or dog pellors!

Then I found this site and read SOOOO many different things.

Yep - thought it was a bit weird and also cruel to leave it that long before feeding her - so I fed her some frozen white bait the day after i got her and she eat a chuck of that with great hunger - although she is providing a fussy eater now as doesn't like bloodworm and i'm not sure giving her white bait is that good for her.

Mine are fussy too - they were only ever fed bloodworm at the place i got them so will happily eat that - but i wanted to vary their diet - they like prawns and earthworms - but will eat almost anything. They didnt like dried brine shrimp though. I think that they just have different likes and dislikes, i am sure they will get used to new foods. I like whitebait, but have no idea if they are any good for axolotls!

Me neither but i had the white bait in the freezer and she eat it so it was something in her tum rather than starving the poor thing for 2 weeks.. (Not going back to that place again!)

No i wouldn't! They sound terrible!! Roughly where are they (just so i do not go there accidentally)?

They are based in Great Portland Street - great for tropical / goldfish but so not so helpful/good on Axolotls!

Ah cool - i don't have any tropical fish at the moment so i'll give them a wide berth!

hi
i live in beaconsfield, bucks
i just go to places in my area for tropical fish(coz i got 8 tanks with tropicals) and every once in a while they have axies, so i get them, coz ive always had a love for them, and i got a 4 foot tank just for them, i now got 3
happy.gif

to get good tropicals and coldwaters id go to WHOLESALE TROPICALS, open to the public.
its a great family based business, and they have interestiung amphibians and salamanders and newts. and soon they will have some babies, which i will be supplying them to them.
if you go ask for terry, and say "posh" alex(coz i live in bucks, even though im a cockney), he will try his hardest for you.

]if you are willing to go by tube there is a great pet shop in amersham(end station of metropolitan line) called Maurices pet shop in amersham.
here you will find axies, but id call before you come, so as not to be dissapointed. they are great, and take great care of their stock, Highly reccomended!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back