Odd behaviour!!

G

glen

Anyone got any ideas what our axies are up to? They are following each other around the tank and stopping and climbing on each other then whizzing off again and doing the same over and over again! Is this a game, or are they feeling stressy (they had a 25% water change tonight). Should i be worried or am i having (yet) another paranoia attack??

My two like to play tag and give cuddles and playfight over the best spots to chill in the plants, and then they sit at either end of the tank and keep to there own space, weird huh! LOL. I wouldn't be getting stressed unless there were water quality issues. The dead give away is the tails....bent curly there stressed...straight there playing. They do have little personalities of there own.

Mine do jousting contests (a bit unfair as one is 2 inches smaller than the other) and either walk or swim straight into each other, smashing their heads, then repeating until one goes up for air or something like that. They then snuggle up to each other and just sit there or sleep (can't tell which, LOL)

Just curious Glen, and I've forgotten, how old are your axies? Ours tended to do that when they were younger, now being over a year old, they're a little less inclined. But our males were doing that recently and I found several spermataphore packets lying around, but no female to pick up!

When my pink guy is eating, the black axolotl likes to swim under him and move him aside and steal the pink guys food.

Shaun- I'd like to see your axolotl jousting contests, sounds intersting :p

I am sure your 'lotls will be ok, sometimes the act crazy. When I first introdicced the black axolotl and the pink axolotl the did that alot. Now they just pretty much chill.

Thanks!

I have no idea how old my axies are - i would imagine they are fairly young - but the guys at the garden centre i got them from didn't seem to know either...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back