Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cleaner Shrimp?

M

matthew

Im having a hard time finding glass shrimp in Aus; how do brine shrimp fair at removing debris and waste? I hear they also serve as a good live feeding stock?

M

moon!

I KNOW THAT THEY ARE A GOOD FOOD BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE DEBRIS THING

A

annmarie

brine shrimp are very tiny and will eventually die in a freshwater environment.

You ever hear about SeaMonkies? Its just a marketing scam to sell brine shrimp to kids.

R

reid

They are not good for cleaning. They only make more of a mess because they die and rot in the water. I kept brine shrimp for a month in the fridge. they eat fish food and bread.

A

amber

Agrees with the rest. Brineshrimp are brackish to saltwater - not at all ideal for your 'lotl tank.
Good food for baby 'lotls though.

Try asking your aquatic stores for dealer pricelists - see if they have amano, caridina or Paleomontes on it. Cherry shrimp are also good.

J

jennifer

Moon, please turn off the CAPS-LOCK, and please use punctuation. This will make your posts much easier and more pleasant to read. Thanks!

Matthew, I agree about the shrimp - you just have to keep looking for glass shrimp. I'm trying to remember if there are other common names for them.

M

matthew

I'm not even sure if you can get shrimp (other than brine) in australia - very frustrating. We have various forms of crayfish though, but they arent ideal.

G

glen

I tried to pick up some glass shrimp today, but the place i went to stopped doing them just last week... bummer huh?

A

amber

Put a private order in then.
I did with one of my smaller LFSs, and he got me 10 in just a couple of days later!

M

matthew

turns out the pet store *can* order me in some glass shrimp...and by "some" i mean a box of 100 >.< What the hell am I going to do with 95 extra shrimp?!

G

glen

Shrimp cocktail? Its always difficult ordering stuff in bulk unless you have some serious tank space - i think i am going to have the same problem - my local supplier used to get shipments of 1000 - i dont think they will be happy if i only want half a dozen of them...

M

matthew

ive got a smaller 2ft tank; but i dont want to be arsed caring for a colony of shrimp ontop of a few axies, lol

N

natashja

hey if you are "lucky" your axies might eat the surplus and leave only the strongest and fastest

greta

Reaction score
hehe I'll take some if you get them matthew and pay you for them, but i'm in newcastle.. maybe they are postable?

M

matthew

Ive heard of people posting shrimps in the states - if I can only get a large bulk amount ill definately mail them in turn out to fellow sydney-siders (and newcastle; seeing as you asked so nicely Greta :p)

A

annmarie

hey- if you get extra shrimp make great pets, fun to watch. It is exciting watching your baby shrimp grow only to discovered a lot more of the fry survived then you originally thought. plus if there is not a lot where you live, you can sell them off.

I have had shrimp as pets and as feeders, they sure are great and interesting to watch as pets. I recently just witnessed shrimp mating. Can you believe that?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1